TCR - 2022

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'll be watching Wall racing, used to race against David's father Des. Dave is meticulous on preparation and attention to detail so I expect some good reliability.

Where do we watch it?
Full details here:

Quick summary:
2 hours per day on free to air on Ch 9Gem. (Does not include final TCR race on Sunday).
4 hours per day on Stan Sport. (Qualifying and all races).

See other thread "ARG Series ........" for discussion.

Cheers.

A pretty good weekend of (watching) motor racing for me. Stan Sport was excellent coverage in my book, good HD, no drop-outs or buffering, good commentary and continuity. They even over ran the coverage by 20 minutes due to red flag in final race and the restart.

Moffatt's Megane and O'Keefe's Peugeot both damaged today, in Moffatt's words - "over-ambitious passing moves by the other drivers", which was about right.

Cheers.

Most of the racing was great however there were too many long delays due to vehicle recovery. Not very well managed for live TV. The recovery team seemed to be poorly trained with inadequate equipment.

Back in the day the Amaroo team was very sharp with a 22 event program, multiple sedan and open wheel categories all live to air with live commercial breaks.

I agree to an extent. Unfortunately these days they are obviously working to extreme OH&S protocols, as in most workplaces now. Back in the day, they would never have red flagged to repair a tyre wall, and would have left a car in a sand trap with local yellow flags. The good thing about today's broadcast was they extended the coverage to finish the race.
Now they put out a safety car for a bit of debris on the track. Same in F1 and other jurisdictions, just have to accept it now.

I thought the vision quality from Stan was sub standard. Soft and unsharp.
Before the weekend I was considering subscribing to Stan Sport, now I’m not so sure.

I thought the vision quality from Stan was sub standard. Soft and unsharp.
Before the weekend I was considering subscribing to Stan Sport, now I’m not so sure.

Surprising, I found to the contrary, I even commented to my wife on the high resolution. Then again we only have a 32" tv, so it all looks pretty good!

I agree to an extent. Unfortunately these days they are obviously working to extreme OH&S protocols, as in most workplaces now. Back in the day, they would never have red flagged to repair a tyre wall, and would have left a car in a sand trap with local yellow flags. The good thing about today's broadcast was they extended the coverage to finish the race.
Now they put out a safety car for a bit of debris on the track. Same in F1 and other jurisdictions, just have to accept it now.
I stand by my comment that the delays in Tas were the result of poor training, lack of planning and inappropriate equipment. The WH&S, OH&S requirements have been in force since the early 1980's. Red flags have always been thrown to repair a tyre wall, has even been required under legislation from the 1950's under the NSW Speedway Act. Even as recently as Bathurst 2021 local yellows are used for a car in the sand trap.

The standard and speed of recovery was far too low for a televised event in 2022. The problem with the S5000 is just one example.

That was a little annoying.. That 22lap race ended up being a ~10lap sprint?

I stand by my comment that the delays in Tas were the result of poor training, lack of planning and inappropriate equipment. The WH&S, OH&S requirements have been in force since the early 1980's. Red flags have always been thrown to repair a tyre wall, has even been required under legislation from the 1950's under the NSW Speedway Act. Even as recently as Bathurst 2021 local yellows are used for a car in the sand trap.

The standard and speed of recovery was far too low for a televised event in 2022. The problem with the S5000 is just one example.

That was a little annoying.. That 22lap race ended up being a ~10lap sprint?

I think the track design at Symmons Plains contributed to the delays, the main ones being after contact with the fence. Other tracks such as Phillip Island rarely see a car hit the fence, due to the more open nature of the track. And newer designed tracks, such as SMSP, have been designed with good run-off areas and again, not many fence incidents. Sandown Park has a couple of close fences, although they did improve the design at end of back straight to reduce the problem, and there was something like a one hour delay after a nasty S5000 crash when I was there in 2019. On the other hand, street circuits are more prone to fence collisions, but so far, I can only think of these circuits being used for the more "professional" events (F1/Supercars), where they do seem to have the manpower and equipment to clear an incident fairly quickly. Here's hoping the next event at Phillip Island has a good run.
Cheers.

Reactions: COL
I think the track design at Symmons Plains contributed to the delays, the main ones being after contact with the fence. Other tracks such as Phillip Island rarely see a car hit the fence, due to the more open nature of the track. And newer designed tracks, such as SMSP, have been designed with good run-off areas and again, not many fence incidents. Sandown Park has a couple of close fences, although they did improve the design at end of back straight to reduce the problem, and there was something like a one hour delay after a nasty S5000 crash when I was there in 2019. On the other hand, street circuits are more prone to fence collisions, but so far, I can only think of these circuits being used for the more "professional" events (F1/Supercars), where they do seem to have the manpower and equipment to clear an incident fairly quickly. Here's hoping the next event at Phillip Island has a good run.
Cheers.
Also at Symmons Plains you can only gain access to the track from the pits, there are no other accesses to create short cuts. also like you said there is also very little run off area from the bridge to halfway down the back straight.

Sandown Park this weekend 17-18 Sept 2022.
Looks like it will be wet and cold - I should be OK in my lounge in Perth watching it on Stan Sports. :cool::cool:

But I would still like to be there - up in the VIP lounge was good in 2019, good weather in there, good view and food supplied - was worth the ticket price - I recommend it.

Practise today (Friday) with full program of racing Sat & Sun, with TCR, TCM (Touring Car Masters - the oldies), Porsche Challenge, GT Challenge, Trans Am and Production Cars.

TCR Practice 1:
(Bargwanna crashes his Peugeot but repaired for the weekend).

TCR Practice 2:

Quote:
"All the action from Round 6 of the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series at Sandown will be broadcast live, ad-break free and on demand on Stan Sport.
Saturday, September 17: 11:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday, September 18: 10:30am – 5:00pm

Live coverage will also be broadcast on 9Go!/9Gem at 3:00pm-5:00pm AEST on Saturday, September 17. Check your local guides for which channel.
Replays will be scheduled across the Nine Network following the event.
International viewers, including New Zealand, can watch live on motorsport.tv"

Very wet today at Sandown. Some races cancelled due to weather. But the TCRs had an eventful race this afternoon, with Aaron Cameron (Peugeot 308) leading from start to finish.

From TCR Australia:

TCR Race 1 start (TCR Australia photo):
2022_0917_Sandown TCR_red.jpg

Aaron Cameron's Peugeot (Garry Rogers Motorsport photo):
2022_0917_Sandown Peugeot.jpg

Sandown Park 17-18 Sept 2022. Sunday was wet but raceable, good racing.
An interesting comment was made that there have been 11 different winners of TCR races this year so far - and with the different makes racing, it is providing more good racing. Notably for instance in race 3 this weekend, the lead changed place a couple of times and the eventual winner came from a couple of rows back. Caruso in the Alfa came through to second from around 8th or something. Unfortunately the loser was Jordan Cox in a Peugeot leading for about half the 22 laps, but getting overtaken in the second half, I think the tyre management is a big factor, plus the Audis seem to have good straight line speed. I don't really know what the differences are considering the control engine power and tyres, maybe its the gear ratios giving different advantage at each track?
Anyway, I see the highlights of each race are on Youtube:

Race 1 (Saturday):

Race 2 (Sunday):

Race 3 (Sunday):