Targa

Richard W

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've just done Targa High Country in their 'Tour' category. You basically get to drive all the stages over 3 days in a road registered car on closed roads ahead of the competition cars. It was great. Doing runs up Mt Buller as hard as you can on a closed road, using all the road with a crowd cheering you at the end was heaven!

They advertise that in the Tour you are supposed to keep to the speed limit but, in practice, in a 205 you can drive these as hard as you want on the most fantastic roads with safety that the road is closed. We just went easy on the straights instead of doing the silly 200kph+ that the big boys do - wasn't about to try that without a cage. It was amazing fun - best driving I have done.

We did this event in an unmodified 205 and were in our own little group at the back of the Tour with an original Cooper S and an M3. The fact that we weren't as fast as the Porsches and Lotuses in other groups didn't make it less fun at all, and the Pug got lots of attention and love.

I'd be keen to do another of these events with my own car. If we could get a couple of 205s together (plus Clios, or R8s?) we could have our own classic group - it would be fantastic fun. Would there be any interest on this forum to plan such an event? Isis? Hicho??

Richard.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

We had a Ferrari Lusso in our group for one stage. Trying to keep up with that through the twisties was fun. The guys behind said it looked pretty funny. He had a camera on the back of the Lusso so has promised to send us the footage.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

what are the costs to be involved ?
The Tour entry for Targa High Country was $1,900 which we shared between two of us and shared the driving - which worked fine.

We had a three bedroom villa on Mt Buller for 5 nights (because we got down to Mt Buller early) which was another $2k between the two of us. We could have brought that cost down by sharing with someone else in the third room or taking a cheaper place.

The other cost is getting your car to the tour. The icon event to do would be Targa Tasmania, which would add the cost of the ferry - but if we did Targa High Country then if you live in Melbourne you'd just drive up to Mt Buller.

Rich, I did come up on the Saturday evening for the street stage and festivities, loitered around the pug for a while but must have missed you.
I will be involved next year for sure.
ATRC also do some tour categorys worth having a look at - Events

Last edited:
This sounds like an awesome way to spend a couple of days Rich! Will have to keep my eyes peeled for next year.

Hows your gti6 205 going?

You mention an original M3, you mean a E30 M3?

Also, I would be keen to do one of these in the RCZ. Sounds like good fun!

You mention an original M3, you mean a E30 M3?

Also, I would be keen to do one of these in the RCZ. Sounds like good fun!

Sorry - the reference to 'original' was only meant to be to the Cooper S (ie, BMC, not BMW Mini). The M3 was an E46 driven by father and son. It was in the 'slow' group because Dad wasn't an aggressive driver. While Dad was driving, we were much faster. When the son got in the driving seat the Bimmer was obviously faster on straights and uphill, but we were still faster through the twisties.

It would be a hoot in the RCZ. I'd be interested to see if my 205 would keep up.

Don't procrastinate, put it into the drive and do it, lots of fun, it should as I experienced.

Far fetched maybe, it was in reference to my experience in his car

Sorry - the reference to 'original' was only meant to be to the Cooper S (ie, BMC, not BMW Mini).

It would be a hoot in the RCZ. I'd be interested to see if my 205 would keep up.

Oh even better if it was an Original Cooper S. That would be a fun group to be with.

I reckon the 205 would do a good job of holding its own. But we will have to find out next time there is an event to enter. Super keen.

Vic (VC205) and I are now organising this year's Targa High Country in the 'Tour' category. This year we're taking my car so hope to be a bit faster than the standard car.

To recap, the Targa 'Tour' means you get to drive all the stages of Targa High Country over 3 days in a road registered car on closed roads ahead of the competition cars - basically as fast as you want. It is brilliant fun.

It would be amazing if we could have a couple of 205s to play....

https://targa.com.au/tc/page_standard.asp?asset_id=19235

Is anyone up for it?

Do you just sign up as a competitor? Or is there a special place for the 'Tour' category?