Tanganyika Motors

Russell Hall

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Jimmy Feeney and Tanganyika Motors were the driving force in the Peugeot success in East African rallying.
The story Feeney told was that after the war he met a man in a bar in Nairobi who was complaining he had acquired a French car agency for Tanganyika that was worthless to him. Which is how he obtained the Peugeot agency at Tanganyika Motors for nothing.
In the Coronation Rally in 1953 Peugeot made no showing at all. Feeney took an interest in rallying and built up a Peugeot presence in the rally during the 1950's with a number of class wins including a 203 class win in 1959. Feeney was instrumental in running the Tanganyika 1000 which was a training and test ground for the Safari. Bert Shankland was one of his drivers. Feeney was expert in preparing Peugeots for rallying including the 204. He died during an overnight section of the Tanganyika 1000.

Attachments

• Maidstone 2.jpg
    Maidstone 2.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 1959-Peugeot-203-Feeney-Fisher-5.jpg
    1959-Peugeot-203-Feeney-Fisher-5.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Jimmy Feeney2.jpg
    Jimmy Feeney2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Maidstone-1.jpg
    Maidstone-1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 215
Hi there, I'm Chris Feeney the son of Jimmy Feeney. I was in the car crash that killed my Father. I have many stories to tell.
Great to hear from you. It would be very good if you could post stories and photos. This is a good site for recording Peugeot history. I have the greatest respect for your father based on what I've read.