Talking about Gearboxes...

renaulturbo

Tadpole
Im sure its been talked about before but i wanna refresh my memory...

What sort of power is a Fuego gearbox good for? would it last if its got 150-160kw going through it (and about 270 to 300 nm of torque)?

Cheers

I thought gearbox strength was rated on their ability to withstand high torque, and not necessarily high power.

Or am I getting confused with differentials, or some other driveline component?

It's probably right about the torque being more important than power.
I'm just curious as to what you going to fit in a Fuego to got 150 - 160kw. That's around the same power as the Commodore/ Falcon/ Magna sixes.

cheers!

Well,
150-160kw- how about a fuego turbo motor with a roller bearing turbo, large intercooler, 3"mandrel bent exhaust, blow-through carburettor from a Lancia Delta Turbo, and if you've got $$$$$ a new electronic engine management system.

My 18 turbo (same engine) makes around 160hp with larger exhaust and slightly more boost, so with some money thrown at it- as above- then 150-160kw is entirely plausible.

Why the original question Renault turbo? Are you after a turbo motor- I have one sitting around if you are interested.....

Ben

Yeah your on the right track Ben.

Ive been toying with the idea for a while. The thing is, i want something with a bit more oompf than the Fuego 1.6 motor and i think i have found just the right thing...the Renault J7R.

I wont bore people here with the details but ive been studying the idea and i think this engine will fit very nicely indeed in a Fuego as it is the J6R's Grandson which has been Turboed/Injected. 128kw/270 nm stock......

I just wanna know if the re-synchroed Fuego box in my garage will be any good for it.

Ben - Is there a trading post in New Zealand? I just cant find a second hand paper equivalent to our trading post (in Oz) on the net. Should there be one, could you post up any details of the address or website?

Thanks mate

I'd say with that amount of HP, you're gonna need to think about fitting a UN1 or 395 type gearbox.

Unfortunately they are as rare as hen's teeth in Australia - especially the UN1 (4 spider gear dif) which would be ideal for all that power.

These were fitted to R25 V6 and V6 Turbo, so maybe there are some to be found in New Zealand?

They are also a BIG box - line an NG3 (Feugo) box up next to them and they look about 50% bigger!

Are those boxes 5 speed?

Well J7R's arent found here in Oz either so i'd have to find both overseas. Would these boxes be compatible with the Fuego?

Oh yes, they are 5 speed alright. They are also used in the Lotus Esprit.

There may be some difficulties mating to a Fuego engine, but - someone may be able to confirm this - an Manual R25 4Cyl (GTX) bellhousing should mate to a UN1 transmission.

Thats a big assumption on my part! Hopefully someone can confirm that. I believe Manual R25 GTX did have UN1/395 transmissions, possibly without the 4 spider gear dif

But do you think these bigger gearboxes would fit under a Fuego?

What sort of power/torque has been put through a Fuego box by anyone?

I'd like to hear from that V6 Fuego that was built some time ago....David?

Ok renault-turbo, what is a J6R then? What's it out of? Surely you'd be better off putting in a motor that they originally came out with either a hot 2litre or- the turbo 1600 for example. Or in OZ is it any motor if different from original requires ( a lot of!?? )certification by an engineer? evil

As for a 2nd hand paper- try trade&exchange.co.nz or t&e.co.nz. It's one of those free to advertise papers - should be what you are after.

I wouldn't say that the NG1 boxes in most fuegos/r18's are anything to write home about, but then as long as you aren't stupid with it- i.e burnouts/wheelies etc most things hold together quite well. At least that's what I have found anyway.

Parts for fuegos/r18's are ridiculously cheap over here at the moment- in another year or so there won't be any on the roads I don't reckon, rust and relatively low values- jap imports a dime a dozen -and hard to get info/parts mean people are flagging them. Could be the time to pick all the bits and pieces up you need for a 'conversion'. Any way- come on now- more about this different motor.... Even R25's going for $1500- quite tidy too, although the electrics put me off those. Besides I'm not into family cars- yet anyhow! wink

Ben

J6R is the 2 litre atmo engine that came in all Fuego's imported to Australia. I say its same as J7R except for carbie vs turbo/injection of J7R. But im not sure of what internals they have in common. I predict that the J7R, being a turbo motor should have a stronger bottom end than the atmo J6R (dont know for sure) plus obviously compression for J7R has been reduced somehow.

Ive asked Vic-roads about Engineer's. They reffered me to call a list of their Engineers for advice. I always thought you only needed an Engineer's if you were planning an increase of 10% of the original cubic capacity of the stock engine....in this case i wouldnt need one as there's no change in cc. But i would have to call just in case. That way i thought the limit to bore/stroke an engine of say 1400cc would be to 1540cc, after which an Engineer's is needed(?)

In the worst case, there's always bodgy Engineer's reports to be had or i could simply get my engine number stamped on to the J7R evil .

All i know i wont be forking out big bucks for beaurocratic bull****!! (Rules Rules Rules !!! :rolleyes: )

In QLD the rules are mostly simple for conversions. If the car weighs 1000kg you multiply this by 3 to bring you to the capacity in CCs (3000cc) in an atmo engine. With turbos the multiple factor is 2.5. (2500cc) You can of course go bigger, but with many more hassles when it isn't a Holden or a Ford. You do still have to get it checked by a modification certified mechanic , as well as upgrading brakes and suspension with checks on those as well. Also if the original block is used, they don't seem to care that you have more than doubled your HP by the use of a 4 valve head. (My BMW 2002) I thought the various bodies were getting together to try to have one blanket ruling for all Aus. on light vehicle mods.
Alan.

I love those 2002's. I once saw a 2002 turbo for $26,000 in unique cars. He reckoned it was good for 400bhp+!!!!! eek!

What type is yours Alan? Was it only the turbo that came out with '2002' written reversed on the front bumper so that you would be warned of what was approaching you in the rear-vision mirror?

renaulturbo,
My 2002 is a 73 Tii (kugelfischer injection)with the round tail lights. There were only 234 RHD round tail light Tiis built. Mine is now fitted with an ex 2L super tourer M3 type(4 cyl) motor with a Motec M4 Pro computer and close-ratio 5 speed and numerous ratio LSDs. The rest of it is a bit over the top, and hopefully I will finish it over the next couple of months. The motor has 276 hp on the engine dyno, but if you keep running it at 9000rpm, rebuild it every 2000 klm.
The turbos were all orignally LHD bar 2, and all had square tail lights as the were built 74 onwards. BMW got rid of the big decals fairly early on. I would rather not advertise my arrival.
Alan.

Europa:
Oh yes, they are 5 speed alright. They are also used in the Lotus Esprit.

There may be some difficulties mating to a Fuego engine, but - someone may be able to confirm this - an Manual R25 4Cyl (GTX) bellhousing should mate to a UN1 transmission.

Thats a big assumption on my part! Hopefully someone can confirm that. I believe Manual R25 GTX did have UN1/395 transmissions, possibly without the 4 spider gear dif
I think the Esprit gearbox was out of a Citroen SM which was a reworked DS 5 Speed box but maybe they used a Renault box as well

renaultturbo, the 2002 turbo actually had 'turbo' backwards on the spoiler. They 'only' put out 170bhp stock. Still, I'd love a stock one! Apparently there was a public outcry at the sticker because of the effect of the fuel crisis on the German public's opinions of performance cars.

Stuey