Tacrometric rleay - can anyone help

Ian Wells

Fellow Frogger
Can anyone help me find this on a peug 505 sedan 84...I believe it is located somewhere near the steering column area ...right hand side..but can't find any direction to it in the manual.

I would appreciate it

Ian Wells:
Can anyone help me find this on a peug 505 sedan 84...I believe it is located somewhere near the steering column area ...right hand side..but can't find any direction to it in the manual.

I would appreciate it
I can help. I just converted by car (an SR) to fuel injection. Ray is right - it is the tachymetric relay. It controls your electric fuel pump. It will be located either near your steering column or (so I have been told - haven't seen this myself) near the starter relay under the bonnet. There is a six-pin green plug (female) which emerges next to your steering column, and the tachymetric relay is black and plugs into it. The wires are numbered 32, 20C, 112, 147, M (earth), and 146, if memory serves. 20C is power to the key. 32 is ignition - power from the key. 112 is negative coil. 147 is power to your fuel pump. 146 is power to your pressure control regulator and your thermal timer unit. All this is from memory, so check your wiring diagramme, but it should be sufficient to enable you to locate the correct "black box bit".

A new one is $105 or so from a dealer. Alternatively you can fit a "gas safety cut-off switch" which is a similar item intended for LPG systems. These cost $35. I used one of these, and it works a treat. Same functionality as the OEM part, but one-third of the price. :)

Regards,
John Lane.

I've got a working tach relay from when I converted my 505 to GTI fuel injection.

I found it a few days back. You can have it for $25+shipping if you need it.

John is right about where it lives. It's under there, next to the steering column. I can take a photo of what one looks like if it helps.

The under-bonnet ones are on the GTI-model cars with EFI.

I've also heard you can take them apart and scrub the crud off the terminals, and re-use them. Never tried, though.

Ian, the Tachym??? relay on my 85 sti (& a 83 sti at pick-a-part) is up under the dashboard near the steering column. You have to take out the little interior cover that goes over the top of the pedals & then the larger cover to get to it. Its quite hard to see it unless you stick your head up under the steering with a light - but its only held in by one bolt.

Both of mine are Bosch and have a dark blue base (with a black top - I think). It has about 8 pins so its at least twice as big as a normal relay & they only last about 8 years.

I suggest you unbolt it & let it hang by the wires as you do your tests by bridging the pins.

I dont know what your original problem is but when I replaced the relay on our sti, it also solved a lot of irritating FI problems.

These relays are similar to ones that give grief in the 126 series Mercedes (380 se/sel) so I have asked the Mercedes guru that fixes those to dissasemble the sti mongrel and tell me what causes the problem. He said, in the future, he may be able to do a change-over service like he does for the Mercs. spanner