T9 308 upgrade to appleplay

PDA

Tadpole
Does anyone know of any Australian based supplier - ideally Sydney - that performs upgrades to the infotainment system?

I have one of those x-trons CarPlay android headunits in my car. They have an Australian website that you can order through, but I found their customer support pretty poor in not getting back to me when I emailed.
Mine works very well, with the exception of the hands free phone part, the microphone in the unit is poor and when plugged into an external mic the level is very low. There’s stuff on the internet about how to fix this through settings and firmware, but I found that a separate Bluetooth box was the easiest way to go. The CarPlay is great though for maps, music, messages, and everything else and the display is very nice.

Have found online quite a variety of modules to install to get ApplePlay to work on my standard 2014 308T9 head unit.

Any experiences or advice on which one to purchase?

I'm looking into this too. Magpie auto in the UK seems to be the best bet, although not in Australia. I like the idea of updating the stock system to the updated NUC based system with Android Auto etc. Will update here if I find a local solution.

For reference:

FYI - Later today I found this on the forum

After being shocked by the price of these modules (let alone the cost of professional installation) to display on the original head unit I think a much cheaper option might be either to use a small tablet

or a separate CarPlay console

There is a lot to choose from but have been warned there is a lot of junk too.

Will update once I get something working without breaking the bank.

I'm looking into this too. Magpie auto in the UK seems to be the best bet, although not in Australia. I like the idea of updating the stock system to the updated NUC based system with Android Auto etc. Will update here if I find a local solution.

For reference:
Did you have any luck with this? My GTi 270 has March 2016 mapping, in a SMEG+ unit. So never updated from new, in effect.

I saw on the Peugeot Forum UK you can update mapping in the SMEG+, just not clear how recent the Oceania maps are. Unless someone here knows? Plan B, if Aus SMEG+ update maps are too old, is probably to bite the bullet and spend a lot of money with Mr Magpie for the later NUC-based unit. My guess is it's going to be more than $1k landed, plus fitting time.

Did you have any luck with this? My GTi 270 has March 2016 mapping, in a SMEG+ unit. So never updated from new, in effect.

I saw on the Peugeot Forum UK you can update mapping in the SMEG+, just not clear how recent the Oceania maps are. Unless someone here knows? Plan B, if Aus SMEG+ update maps are too old, is probably to bite the bullet and spend a lot of money with Mr Magpie for the later NUC-based unit. My guess is it's going to be more than $1k landed, plus fitting time.
I have not done anything yet. On the backburner after I had go and find a new job!

The fitting is what worries me. Do it myself and I'll likely break something, but pay someone and you won't know if they broke something until it all rattles apart later....

I think the cost is reasonable if it really is a factory style plug and play solution

Yes finding employment might be a slight distraction!

There might be a cheaper way to sort this out, if maybe almost as time-consuming.

Have a look in the link below at the latest posts, the solution might be to update the SMEG+ with 7/2020 Aussie maps and spend a lot less ($500) on eBay to get a module to hook up Carplay etc to the SMEG+ unit if you want it (not sure about this, I really only just wanted newer maps in the standard SMEG unit).

I am going to try the new maps, and failing that, get in touch with the guy selling the NAC unit and adaptors. It does look like a neat update, although it's going to be $1500 all up, or close to it.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/smeg-map-and-speed-camera-update-procedure.168681/page-140

I finally mamanged to update the maps last night from 2016 maps to late-2020 maps. I still think the SMEG unit is a bit clunky, so there might be a 500GBP replacement NAC A&A at some point. Would be glad to hear from anyone who has gone ahead and tried this replacement unit in Oz on how successful it was.