Suspension wont pump up - 2011 C5 (X7) 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 163 PEF ( DW10CTED4 )

NG_C5

Tadpole
Hi, We have just arrived in France from New Zealand. Our C5 has been in storage for the past two years. I have tried to get the car running. The engine is running beautifully but the suspension wont pump up. I can hear the pump running but it doesn't appear to pump any oil. I topped up the reservoir in case some oil had leaked somewhere. When I pressurised the reservoir with a bike pump I could hear a gurgling noise briefly but the height of the vehicle doesn't change when the pump was actuated with lexia even though I could hear the pump running when actuated. The pump continues to run for 30 secs or so after I turn the engine off. Is this likely to a bleeding issue or am I best to buy a second hand replacement pump? Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers Noel

Some additional information.

Battery was new before we left car two years ago and was on a trickle charger for the 2 years so it is still in great condition and full voltage. The car was left with normal driving height setting. There was no visible fluid in the reservoir hence me topping it up till it was just visible.

I have tried resetting BSI yesterday but no improvement.

Since posting last night, With the pump stopped, I loosened the pressure pipe that comes out of the front on the pump . Extremely gaseous frothy like brown mixture flowed out for some considerable time. Does that imply anything such as a leaking sphere? My intention was to establish whether the pump was actually pumping anything or whether it was a faulty pump. Once the frothing stopped, I pressurised the reservoir and started the pump but only a small amount more of froth appeared.

Cheers Noel

Hi Noel :)
No other suggestions so here is mine. In times well past after some wet weather my C5 refused to rise(possibly one end). After a bit of fiddling I removed the height sensor connecting wires and sprayed them and wriggled the connectors as best I could and refitted them. This fixed it OK. (y)
Obviously this comes with the usual warning of putting the car on stands and never working underneath the car without stands to protect you. Noting the height correction is automatic even with the key out.
Good luck Jaahn
Also be careful about the procedure to refill the resevoir or you will 'blow it up'. (n)

Hi Noel

Are you a member of French Car Forum (https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)? They are UK based, with many European members, and seem to have a lot of experience with, and knowledge of, C5s of all descriptions.

Of course Jaahn's suggestions may be all the help you need!

EDIT : I see I was about 16 hours late with this suggestion!

Last edited:
Problem solved:

Hi Jaahn and Armidillo, I followed Marc suggestion on the UK Frenchcarforum regarding bleeeding the pump and the car is now at normal height, so I am very happy. I had previously monitored the height parameters on Lexia for the front and back while jacking the car up and letting it down again and the height graphs reflected the changes as I jacked each end up, which gave me confidence that the sensors were working OK.

Marc said:
This is the official bleeding procedure
  • Apply a pressure of 0.5 bar in the LDS fluid reservoir.
  • Start the engine.
  • Wait for the vehicle height to stabilise.
  • Place the suspension height control in the "HIGH" position.
  • Place the suspension height control in the "LOW" position.
  • Turn the steering from lock to lock in each direction.
  • Stop the engine.
  • Check the LDS fluid level.
Thanks for your help. Cheers Noel