Stupid Question

R17G

Fellow Frogger
:confused: Ok so its a stupid question and I am rather embarrassed. The oil filter on my R17G has not been off in 12+ years due to it being in storage. I have tried 2 different tools, put holes in it and broken a screwdriver and still the damn thing won't budge. It is the filter on the guard and not on the engine. Any ideas how I can remove the thing before I go insane? :mad:

I find the best thing for that is to use a strap wrench with the rachet attachment (if you can get access to get all the way around). As you have drilled holes in it already, the oil filter might collapse when using a strap wrench.

Go to Super Cheap, less than $10.

I used them to remove spheres off the GS - never failed!

Thanks but I have tried the strap wrench already. There is not alot of room to pull the handle. Didn't budge. black_ey
Any more suggestions?

Hmm interesting.

The only things we sell at work are oil filter wrenches and the Wrench strap.
and if that wont budge, go the o'l stab it with a screwdriver trick. But sounds like you busted a screwdriver doin that.

Hit it with a squirt of WD-40 or something i dunno.

Yep,

Go back to Super Cheap and look for one that looks like a 3 legged spider and is called a "Oil Filter Ratchet Wrench."
It says on the box that it's "Fully adjustable from 65 - 110mm"
Its bar code number is : 9315071470302
Under that are the numbers FT502

Go & have a gander at one; I think that will do the job as you can fit a socket on it (approx. 14mm) and lay into it. I had a tight one and this thing grabbed it so tight that it almost turned it (the filter) into a corkscrew but it did shift it. If you have the space, you could even use a rattle gun on it.
Failing that, they also sell a chain wrench that looks like a pair of vice grips with a piece of bike chain attached. We use them to remove stubborn spheres on the Citroens. If it's real hard, you may have to use some heat also. evil whip evil

Alan S

Thanks Alan, will buy one today and let you know how it goes. cheers!

Thanks Europa, I already though of that but my vice is not attached to a bench. (I really have to build a proper workshop).
I must say thanks to Alan S :) . Your'e a legend, that device from Scheap is excellent, after hours of bruised hands and cursing it came off almost straight away. Best $20 bucks I've spent.
Thanks again,
Craig cheers! a_drink

R17G:
Thanks Europa, I already though of that but my vice is not attached to a bench. (I really have to build a proper workshop).
I must say thanks to Alan S :) . Your'e a legend, that device from Scheap is excellent, after hours of bruised hands and cursing it came off almost straight away. Best $20 bucks I've spent.
Thanks again,
Craig cheers! a_drink
See - toldja dance roll_lau

Alan S a_drink