stuff

That is why I suggested the manual. If the boot has a cable operating the lock, it may be that the cable can be found and simply pulled by hand.

Failing everything else, I am sure a dealer would get it open in no time flat, but I acknowledge this thread is not about that kind of solution.

Do you have or can you find a repair manual for the car? I would have a look at the mechanism in all its details. I think that is how a thief would do it and I am pretty sure they found a way to get in your boot no matter what. There's got to be a weak link somewhere in this teutonic armour.
I have the 'Bentley' Publishers E36 service manual - similar to the Megane service manuals widely available online and quite informative.

I've thought about just calling NRMA Batteries - if anyone has seen this issue surely they would have !

Cheers

Justin

So what does the manual say about the lock mechanism? Is it in the lid, or is it in the beam below? Is it operated remotely via a cable or is it a local solenoid controlled from elsewhere? Or a combination of the two? Either way, if you locate the operating control, you have your solution; disconnect the wires from the whatever that is and put 12V on something. Eventually you will find the correct combination.

There is probably a terminal at the engine bay where a lead from the battery runs forward. If you can find that, disconnect it and hook up an external battery at the front. Of course it's an E36, not 46 etc.. I still like the inventive dog lead release idea!

This person reckons those 2 bolts will release it - annoying video.

This person shows a faulty lock mechanism and it might help you work out the layout or how to release it.
Yep - I removed those 2 bolts but no joy getting anything to move. When I rotate / push the key / lock in the boot lid there is no resistance - like the the rod indicated in the video isn't actually attached.

Cheers

Justin

I've added a third video which may help get at the latch.

I've added a third video which may help get at the latch.
That third video seems to be the trick - I laughed at how he mentioned how good his solution was because he didn't have to drill a hole in the bootlid, while he was poking a screw driver through a big hole in his boot lid !

Looks like I will be drilling a hole under the number plate - but I can live with that.

Cheers

Justin

That third video seems to be the trick - I laughed at how he mentioned how good his solution was because he didn't have to drill a hole in the bootlid, while he was poking a screw driver through a big hole in his boot lid !

Looks like I will be drilling a hole under the number plate - but I can live with that.

Cheers

Justin
why not follow battery cable forward from the boot like I suggested earlier ? all you need to do is unplug it in the engine bay and power its connector with 12volts ....

why not follow battery cable forward from the boot like I suggested earlier ? all you need to do is unplug it in the engine bay and power its connector with 12volts ....
Shane you have not worked on some of these silly shit cars, is my answer. Neither have I but I have looked at a few ! :rolleyes: They can make a C5 look soo easy to work on. The German technology is so over the top in expensive cars. IMHO. Take it to a dealer is their answer to problems. BMW buyers are milch cows for sure :approve:
Jaahn

Shane you have not worked on some of these silly shit cars, is my answer. Neither have I but I have looked at a few ! :rolleyes: They can make a C5 look soo easy to work on. The German technology is so over the top in expensive cars. IMHO. Take it to a dealer is their answer to problems. BMW buyers are milch cows for sure :approve:
Jaahn

I would have thought a big huge thick battery wire would be simple enough to find ? I'd suggest starting at the starter motor and working back from there :) .... I do understand what you are saying though! Is it possible the main battery cable runs straight to the starer, then across to the cars electrical system from there?

... laughed at how he mentioned how good his solution was because he didn't have to drill a hole in the bootlid, while he was poking a screw driver through a big hole in his boot lid ! ...
... and making it larger!

I don't believe there is a working electrical / mechanical connection to the lock in the boot. As per the video above, it's common for the link rod from the lock servo to disconnect from the lock mechanism, and no matter how much power you apply it's never going to work.

But yes, If it looks like a quick disconnect I might try it - I'll have the battery there anyway.

Cheers

Justin

Finally had a chance to attack the crazy old German thing today....

and the winner is...... ??????

David S with his video tip on drilling the hole in the bootlid !!!

I'm finally in to the boot, replaced the battery, and it started right up......mostly.

Thanks again for all the tips fellow Froggers !!

Oh yes, a voltage test on the old battery showed just on 3 volts - hence the reason it wouldn't jump start I'm guessing.

The boot lock is 3 parts.

The solenoid which electrically acts on the boot lock by acting on a rod connected to the key lock - the plastic pivot point had literally turned to dust and the rod had fallen out of the joint - hence the electric unlocking wasn't ever going to work.

The key lock connects to the latch by another link rod - which also goes into a second plastic pivot - this had also turned to dust and hence the mechanical connection from the lock to the latch had failed.

So in the end the only way was to drill the hole, pull up on the latch - and I was in to the boot. I've used the spare lock I found to source the 'new' plastic pivots and it's all connected again.

I've now replaced the number plate and frame - after smoothing the hole and using a rubber grommet to seal the hole - and you can't see the grommet at all !

bmw 328i resize boot lid hole.jpg
bmw 328i resize boot open.jpg

bmw 328i resize boot lid lock.jpg

Cheers

Justin

Doesn't the NRMA (or whatever the RAC is called in NSW) have all the knowledge of how to break into cars for owners? Super secret manuals, or so they told me once.

What a bugger.