stuff

N5GTi6

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
bmw 328i resize rear.jpg

Yes - Stupid German.

Lets put the battery in the boot. Then lets make the boot lock power operated. Now when the battery goes flat because it's 10 years old and internally shorted, and you try to apply power through the terminals under the bonnet you still can't open the boot, to replace the battery. You remove the back seat to look for a manual release in the boot - and there isn't one.

Next step - an axe.

Dont ever tell me French cars are 'quirky'.....

Cheers

Justin

Hmmm - I just saw the Not The Toad Pond is available - I would have posted there....

Cheers

Justin

I assume there is no key lock in the button. Makes the French look thoughtful then. There's a technique mentioned at https://www.bimmerownersclub.com/forums/topic/17439-e90-manual-boot-release/
Yep - there's a key lock - and it's unlocked, but it appears the previous owner knew the lock was malfunctioning as there is a replacement lock (without a key) in a bag on the floor of the car. So I can press the button all I like, but it doesn't do anything.

Cheers

Justin

Can you undo the striker with looong extensions to get at the bolts you can see in the photo?

Yep - did that with a 1 metre 1/2in extension. There must be more than the 2 bolts you can see there because the boot lid still doesn't budge.

Cheers

Justin

I should mention that this car has roll sensing hoops behind that rear seat headrests that automatically raise when an immenent roll is detected, so there are substantial structures behind each rear seat. These then restrict the access into the boot through the back seat to a small aperture between the seats. There is no chance of climbing through into the boot.

Cheers

Justin

if you have a new key and lock .... why not just drill the old one out ?
The lock mechanism isn't mechanically attached to the latching mechanism - from what I can find ( but not confirmed), so I'm not convinced that either drilling or punching out the keyhole / lock would get me anywhere, but it could be worth a try.................the keyhole is above the number plate while the latch is at the bottom of the bootlid.

Cheers

Justin

why don't you google it .... i bet someone has been here before. if you find a bmw forum, someone might let you look in there boot and see how it all works (so you can see what you need to do).

Peronally, i'd just find the live cable under the car .... follow it upto the engine bay. unbolt the thing and using jumper leads plug a replacement power source in

www.bimmerforums.com and www.bimmerownersclub.com both sort of mention it, but no-one seems to have ever responded with a solution.

BMW supply you with 'remote' terminals under the bonnet - that was the first solution, but it seems that the bad battery is stopping current getting to where it's needed. With a jump start charger connected the starter will click like the battery is dead, but it won't get as far as turning the engine over. The roof sort of works, all the dash lights up, the windows go up and down, but not enough juice gets through for the starter to operate.

Cheers

Justin

Are you sure there isn't a manual release handle you can't see from the back seat? Like this on an E46 sedan. You may need a mirror. This owner added his own manual release by adding a dog lead via parcel shelf!
For E90, there is a video on Youtube that tells you to pop out the release pad for access to the mechanism, but I presume this is an E46 and it operates via a button so no such access.

1672573336315.png

Last edited:
Do you have or can you find a repair manual for the car? I would have a look at the mechanism in all its details. I think that is how a thief would do it and I am pretty sure they found a way to get in your boot no matter what. There's got to be a weak link somewhere in this teutonic armour.

There might possibly be something like this on an E36 - the E36 didn't have the same electric boot switch like the later E90 and so doesn't have the same 'hole' in the boot lid. I guess I could always break the garnish off the boot lid and have a look somewhere......maybe the number plate light ....

Cheers

Justin

There is probably a terminal at the engine bay where a lead from the battery runs forward. If you can find that, disconnect it and hook up an external battery at the front. Of course it's an E36, not 46 etc.. I still like the inventive dog lead release idea!

This person reckons those 2 bolts will release it - annoying video.

This person shows a faulty lock mechanism and it might help you work out the layout or how to release it.

Access via a number plate mount hole, but maybe the USA boot is drilled differently.

Last edited: