Stuck and need advice urgently

tlampre

Fellow Frogger
Howdy, drove to Adelaide overnight in my BX 16TRS and only just made it. I've sprung another hydraulic leak. :(

It appears to be a return line near the reservoir as I have LHM dripping off the lines. I had a return line replaced a couple of weeks ago by Dave at FC so I guess I'm up for another.

The reservoir is empty so I'd like to refill and see if I can trace the leak. What should I buy, assuming I'm going to have to go to somewhere like Supercheap, I've never seen anything specifically labelled LHM there? Or, is there somewhere in the South of Adelaide open on Saturdays I can try?

Regards,
Trevor

Bray M & W
19 Grants Gully Rd Clarendon 5157 (08) 8383 6207
Mobile Service 0429 089 644

This is your man...!

He would evfen have a replacement line avialbale and may even fit it for you if you ask real nice.

You wont find anyone that knows Cit's better.

Hope this helps.

Jack

It's not unusual for hydraulic lines to start leaking after you have been working around them (don't ask how I know this :disappr: ).

You will find you repair lines that are weeping, only to find you upset other lines while you were in the area ... The only way to find the leak is to clean the area and find where it's originating from. The upside is once you have fixed all the minor leaks ... You wil find it doesn't leak for years & years & years .............................

good luck
Shane L.

Try Roger Parker, he should be able to point you to people who can help. He sells LHM to club members.

Are you in your local Citroen Club? The SA Citroen club has delegated 'advisors' for most models including the BX.

regards
sean

Hi, I got 5L of LHM from Martin Bray, thanks for the help, everyone.

I had to spend the rest of day the painting my sons room (reason for the trip) and want refill the reservoir tomorrow morning and see if I can identify the leak and decide on my next move. Martin explained the procedure of bleeding the system but even with his directions I can't find the bleed point. It's supposed to be a 12mm bolt head around near the regulator and flow divider. Maybe I'm too tired or too stupid but I can't see it.

Anyone got a 'dummies guide to bleeding the hydraulics'? Or maybe a picture?

Thanks,
Trevor

Well, topped up the LHM and started the engine. I have a drip coming off the sump running at about 2 drops per second and another just behind the front cross member at about half the rate. I have no axle stands so no way am I going to crawl under to find the exact source.

So, flying back to Melbourne tonight to try and earn enough money to get it fixed. :(

Just had a squiz at the Cit Parts & Service thread, couldn't see a repairer in Adelaide, just suppliers. Any recommendations?

tlampre said:
Just had a squiz at the Cit Parts & Service thread, couldn't see a repairer in Adelaide, just suppliers. Any recommendations?

In case he doesn't see this, PM Simon.

Alan S

PS. Find bleed screw by putting your right arm down the front with the top radiator hose sitting at the back of your arm between the elbow and the shoulder. Lower the right hand and it will land right on the 12mm bolt. You need a decent hand held spotlight to make life easier.:D :D

Thanks Alan.

I'm now looking at ways of fixing things and I don't think I can afford to keep spending the money on labour doing things bit by bit. I'm thinking of putting the head back on my Camira, getting a temporary permit to drive it to Adelaide and putting SA plates on it with 3 months rego. I have a valid SA address so this is legally doable plus I'll have a reliable (Camira! :D) runabout for a couple of months before I sell it. I can load the boot up with my stands, jacks and tools and then spend a weekend overhauling the BX hydraulics.

I have one new return line, what should I be buying to replace the rest? What other bits should I get? Any special tools? I need to be sure I have everything to do the job right the first time so I'm prepared to get things even if they may not be absolutely necessary. Chances are I'd end up replacing them in the next 12 months anyway given the driving I do - about 6000 km since December, mostly at highway cruising speed.

I'll take my camera too and document the job, it would make a useful how-to guide for others.

Now all I need is a shopping list and at a least a ball-park figure of costs. All suggestions appreciated. I'll start the list...

1) Whole new car. :joker:

Regards,
Trevor