Strange ticking

Winnie Rout

Tadpole
Hi all, my 405 is making a funny noise that doesn’t seem to be coming from the engine. It’s a rhythmic set of 5 ticks followed by a pause then starts 5 ticks again. Happens 5 times every minute and seems to be coming from the gear stick. It’s auto btw. Otherwise running fine

Hi all, my 405 is making a funny noise that doesn’t seem to be coming from the engine. It’s a rhythmic set of 5 ticks followed by a pause then starts 5 ticks again. Happens 5 times every minute and seems to be coming from the gear stick. It’s auto btw. Otherwise running fine

Like an old Morris Minor fuel pump perhaps)))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second that, more like 99% chance that it is the heater flap motor, which is what happened to my 405 about 20 years ago.

I think that the stealer wanted about $800 for a new unit. From memory, there is a logic fault in that the motor, same as a slot car one, does not recognise when it is at full travel, and keeps trying to turn.

There is a small box with the plastic cogs in it, and one gets stripped. Whilst it was easy enough to identify, again from memory, if you take the gears out to replace, they are timed, or aligned, with small arrows on them. If they are not put back in correctly, the same will happen as they will be out of adjustment.

Happy to be corrected on this.

Easy job to replace; the little box is removable from down in the footwell on the side of the heater box. I sourced brass gears for mine that were beautifully CNC milled but I'm not sure if they're still available.