Squealing discs - Renault 20

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Anyone got any ideas about this one ?

Our 20 squeals really bad, but not all the time. The pads have been changed which cured it for a while but now it's back.

It's OK when it's cold or under heavy braking. When it's hot, sometimes it's OK, but usually not and when it starts that's it until it's been parked awhile.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I had a couple of 20ts's both series 1. The first one did make brake noises. Eventually this turned out to be because the front discs had worn particularly thin and were full of stress fractures. So thin in fact that shortly before the new ones arrived, the brake pads on one side actually fell out onto the road while I was negotiating some bends in the foothills of the Snowy mountains. The piston popped out beyond the seal and presto it was hand brake only.

The guy who sold me the new discs (Warren's Auto Spares in Smithfield NSW) told me that certain cheaper brake pads for the 20 were extremely bad for the life of the disc and extremely noisy. Of course, this statement was issued shortly before he flogged me a better set of pads for $80plus (as opposed to $50 for the cheapies)

Hope this helps

Hi again, Bob.

If it's not the problem mentioned above, I've cured a few squeaky discs by using a product called CRC Disc Brake Quiet which you whack on the back of the pads. It cures to a rubbery consistency and IT WORKS. Looks a bit naff though as it's fluorescent orange.

Good luck,

Stuey

yea thats stuff is sposed to be pretty good.
I sell quite a bit of it at work.

I think its about $14

and yea it works.

Nathan, no it's not paint, and it's not for the calipers. You squeeze a strip of it across the back of the pad and replace the pads, so you can't see it through the wheel. The rubbery cure stops the high frequency vibrations against the piston or caliper (depending on design).

Stu

Hi Guys, Yep disc brake quiet is the way to go CRC is only one brand, theres heaps out there, it doesn't matter weather you use $50, $80 or even $100 pads, if your discs are stuffed then there gonna sqeal. We use disc brake quiet every time we fit pads, we've made it a rule, its the only way to make sure the customer doesn't come back complaining. I prefer to use a spray on type rather than the paste like CRC.
Seeyas,
David.

Thanks froggers. Don't fancy the Snowy trick, I'll have a good look at the discs again - I didn't reckon they were that worn when the pads were replaced.

Any reason for the spray-on preference David ? Is any brand better than others ?

Bob

No real reason Bob, just personal choice, I think the spray on is easier to use, what I do is, open the box and spray the backs of the pads and then start removing the old pads from the car, by the time there out the stufs dry and ready to fit and off you go.

David.

David,

thanks mate - its not all in the manual.

Bob