Squeaking Noise - Passenger front right - 308 T7

306Eran

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I've been battling a rather annoying and loud squeaking noise coming front the front right of the vehicle, very audible from the front passengers seat.

308 T7 - 2011 HDi RHR

The noise comes and goes, however the noise does not discriminate. It occurs on both smooth and bumpy roads.

Along with the squeaking there is knocking noise in and around the same area, but not always present and more noticeable on bumps.

I have recorded a video of the the squeaking noise this afternoon, the knocking sound is too difficult to capture though.

I have a feeling that it is suspension related.

Has anyone experienced a similar noise or any clues as to what it may be?

Here is the link to the video recording:

Thanks in advance!

Wheel bearing? Although that would be more constant and speed related. Mind you, listening via phone speaker... Sounds like squeaking trim.

Passenger front right is confusing. I take it the noise appears to be in front of the driver, high up..

Both knocks and squeaks can come from the ball bearing at the top of the wheel strut. It holds the spring which can rotate at the fixed body load-bearing structure. Road dirt gets into it. The fix is to remove the spring and strut, change the top bearing and reassemble.

Multiple lighter knocks and rattles can be a worn out drop link from the anti-roll bar. A cheap and easy replacement.

Does it knock when turning the engine on and off I'm thinking top right engine mount has collapsed and that's a heat shield or something or on some 308s the gear cables can rattle and knock.

Does it knock when turning the engine on and off I'm thinking top right engine mount has collapsed and that's a heat shield or something or on some 308s the gear cables can rattle and knock.
Nope, no knocking when turning engine on and off!

Passenger front right is confusing. I take it the noise appears to be in front of the driver, high up..

Both knocks and squeaks can come from the ball bearing at the top of the wheel strut. It holds the spring which can rotate at the fixed body load-bearing structure. Road dirt gets into it. The fix is to remove the spring and strut, change the top bearing and reassemble.

Multiple lighter knocks and rattles can be a worn out drop link from the anti-roll bar. A cheap and easy replacement.
Hey Seasink,

Thanks for your help, is replacing the top bearing a big job... What would a mechanic charge on average for such a job?

Be reasonably sure that's where the noise is.

It will take a couple of hours plus a bearing and possibly a cap. Kits are available. Replace correctly so the alignment isn't disturbed.

To give you an idea tof the job here's a bloke doing it on a rust encrusted Pug in the UK at
. Bolts and nuts are usually easier here without the heavy corrosion.

You can see the bits here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182676526087?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200818143230&meid=3e35a777622f499b8739e4cdcdb18c54&pid=101224&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=263133922186&itm=182676526087&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2047675&algv=DefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Don't even think about DIY unless you can safely compress a spring with the appropriate tool.

sounds like its in the dash ,do you have the blower fan on, douse the noise go away when you are stationary ,i had a 405 that had a small fan in the dash that sampled the cabin air, so the climate control could work ,mine developed a noise like this when it was about to die, think the blades were hitting the housing ,i one time had a leaf get down the blower fan inlet and made a lot of noise till it finally broke up and cane out the vents in the dash ,

sounds like its in the dash ,do you have the blower fan on, douse the noise go away when you are stationary ,i had a 405 that had a small fan in the dash that sampled the cabin air, so the climate control could work ,mine developed a noise like this when it was about to die, think the blades were hitting the housing ,i one time had a leaf get down the blower fan inlet and made a lot of noise till it finally broke up and cane out the vents in the dash ,
Hi pugwash,

Thanks for the input, I can almost certainly say it's not related to that. There is also a bit of clunking going occasionally that seems to be associated with the noise, it definitely feels to be front suspension related!

It's so difficult trying to self diagnose, I went to a mechanic today and said it could be upwards of $600 of they can't find what it is, the problem is that it's an intermittent sound... On the drive there it didn't make a sound at all.

Would a better option be, take the risk and just ask my mechanic to replace the entire Strut?

What seasink mentioned earlier sounds like it may be that, but not entirely sure.

So frustrating!

If the knock isn't an engine mount gone (engine may rock, or it knocks at engine start or braking) then it is probably suspension reacting to road changes.

The suspect parts for noises are the rubbers at the bottom arm, the ball joint at the bottom of the hub, the ball joints and rubbers at the anti-roll bar, and the top strut bearing. The last will sound at dashboard level. It is located just under the scuttle.

If it is, you only remove the strut to get at the top, see video. The actual top mount is a fairly economical service part. If the car has done 50,000 km plus on normal roads it is quite possible. You don't buy a new strut.

If the knock isn't an engine mount gone (engine may rock, or it knocks at engine start or braking) then it is probably suspension reacting to road changes.

The suspect parts for noises are the rubbers at the bottom arm, the ball joint at the bottom of the hub, the ball joints and rubbers at the anti-roll bar, and the top strut bearing. The last will sound at dashboard level. It is located just under the scuttle.

If it is, you only remove the strut to get at the top, see video. The actual top mount is a fairly economical service part. If the car has done 50,000 km plus on normal roads it is quite possible. You don't buy a new strut.
Thanks Seasink, I got the strut bearing changed two weeks ago now. That seemed to do the trick!

Well done to Seasink! Diagnosing squeaks and rattles is bad enough at the best of time let alone by 'remote control.'
And well done to you Eran for biting the bullet and deciding to act on the advice. Sometimes that feels like a leap into the darkness doesn't it? A happy outcome for all concerned.😇

Well done to Seasink! Diagnosing squeaks and rattles is bad enough at the best of time let alone by 'remote control.'
And well done to you Eran for biting the bullet and deciding to act on the advice. Sometimes that feels like a leap into the darkness doesn't it? A happy outcome for all concerned.😇
Thanks DeeCee. Seasink is a great help!

It seems my 308 is rather unhappy with me right now, I have now noticed oil leaking from what I believe is where the EOLYS oil is located... Rear left hand side, under the passenger door.

No idea what's caused it, I may need to start a new thread for this. @seasink Any thoughts?

It doesn't seem to be leaking fast, but leaving quite a few spots on the driveway now, how much time do I have before this causes issues with the DPF? Is it a costly fix?

Get the car up on a hoist or ramps and find out where the leak is, eg the tank, or the joints, or the tubes. The catalyst fluid is expensive, and when it's near gone the car will throw up an error. It isn't an oil, it's a cerium compound.

Get the car up on a hoist or ramps and find out where the leak is, eg the tank, or the joints, or the tubes. The catalyst fluid is expensive, and when it's near gone the car will throw up an error. It isn't an oil, it's a cerium compound.
Thanks Seasink,

Curious if it throws up an error in the meantime will the car still be safe to drive around town?

I don't want to be stranded, I assume this shouldn't be the case.