Spotted on LLoyds Auctions 1971 R5TL

Maybe - BUT if it is hearse, why the tow bar?

And besides - whatever it is, it IS a thing of great style and beauty! Surely that is obvious, and inarguable? ;)

Ian.
Typical big Ford: it's big enough to BE a hearse but too small inside to fit a coffin. The towbar is for the coffin trailer.

Typical big Ford: it's big enough to BE a hearse but too small inside to fit a coffin. The towbar is for the coffin trailer.
I had wondered if that could be the answer. Something like this ...

1621727735940.png

I have put a “fun” bid on the R5. It does have a reserve and I won’t even be 10% of that given what it has been advertised at previously. As mentioned it is at the Gold Coast.
Some years ago there were a couple of R5 Turbos (the front wheel drive version) for sale in Australia for $6- 10k ( now a much bigger number) but as usual like now I have nowhere to put them anyway.
This little cutie looks like it would be perfectly useable on a daily basis. You know, live outside, parked in the street, the rest of it. I would hazard a guess most of them lived that way only in Oz that wouldn't be the end of it.

The R5 topped out at $4100. Don’t know if it met reserve.

Yeah, I think most people overestimate what their cars are worth. I mean even 4k is not exactly pocket money. Or it is but for people who are not interested in R5s.

Yeah...I was the "successful" bidder.Lloyds contacted me to tell me that whilst my bid was the winner,the seller was not content...Normal stuff with this site.They will now negotiate with the would-be seller .I suspect he/she wants far bigger bucks.I had a R5 in France circa 1988:great to drive,but mine was a rust bucket.

I'm not a new member.I just don't post random ....stuff.Had Dauphines, Simca Vedette Pug,404 ,Renault 4,5,10,12,16,17,25 and a Citroen club

Nice one. Fingers crossed you can negotiate a fair deal.

I spent the afternoon removing the fuel tank of my recently acquired R5 to find out what was blocked. The good news is the tank itself is pretty clean, just the little mesh filter and pickup pipe were blocked with varnish.

Lloyds contract with the vehicle seller is usually if the car doesn't sell first time round & they can't coerce the top bidder up, Lloyds auction again @ the next sale & seller has to accept best bid @ that auction.

Well then. Be sure you all get out of the bidding and allow Darryl to get an even better bargain! :D

Reactions: IWS
Car websites are so friendly.I've paid $4500...{a negotiated price} and roughly $750 to bring the car to Melbourne from Carrara/Gold Coast.I originally was going to drive it back,but corona virus limitations.....Nice car to do stuff with while I contemplate
not much work.But it's a 5!!

Yay. Please keep us updated. I'd love to see this car one day. Do you plan to take it to French car days or similar?

Great work! I look forward to getting mine on the road to join yours here in Melbourne!

Score!

Still a respectable wad of cash all up but I am sure you will enjoy the little bugger.

Please come back with a thread about owning what is a rather unique car around these parts of the world.

Didn't KB own that little white gem way back? There was a mint baby blue one in my area but I haven't seen it in ages. Was literally like a new R5 and as Schlitzy says, super cute 😍
I seem to have missed this post entirely. J-Man I owned the sweet little blue one that’s in your area but Bob Sprague indeed owned this white one for 20 odd years; and the blue one I owned, prior to me. He had quite a few but at one time had three - this early white one; my blue GTL and a later 5 door all on the road at the same time. He has now completely divested himself of R5’s.

Daryl J - if you PM me a contact number I can put you in touch with Bob directly (he is not on Aussiefrogs). He would be happy to speak to you regarding the history of the car as the longest term owner certainly here in Australia and probably in the cars life. He also has a set of front indicator lenses you can have. I also have a set of mag wheels for an R5 from when I owned my blue one that I would be willing to sell if you’re interested. KB

My aunt in Scotland had a brand new light blue R5 when I went there in 1977. Due to that, I thought she was pretty cool at the time.

I seem to have missed this post entirely. J-Man I owned the sweet little blue one that’s in your area but Bob Sprague indeed owned this white one for 20 odd years; and the blue one I owned, prior to me. He had quite a few but at one time had three - this early white one; my blue GTL and a later 5 door all on the road at the same time. He has now completely divested himself of R5’s. KB
I just looked up the photo KB, and the last time I saw the little cutie was Oct 15 in Mt Barker. Hope it is still ok and local. Would love to see it out and about again.

Attachments

• R5 1.small.jpg
    R5 1.small.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 107
  • R5 2.small.jpg
    R5 2.small.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 104
  • R5 3.small.jpg
    R5 3.small.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 104