Speed Series 2023 - TCR, S5000, Trans Am, etc.

Watched all of Day 1, good racing but fields are down in numbers, presumably due to logistics of getting to Tasmania. Only 13 TCRs and 10 S5000s. Plenty of Transams, and TCM good field.

There have been a few driver/car changes, James Moffatt now in a GRM TransAm replacing Nathan Herne who is having a go in the USA. Jordan Cox now in one of the GRM TCR Peugeots, not sure where Dylan O'Keefe has gone.

The TCR Audi's looked quick, but surprisingly, both had drive line failures, and may not be repaired for Day 2. The Peugeots were going well, but the older model i30N topped the sheet yesterday. An interesting addition to the field is an English touring car champ now living in Australia having a go in TCR, Ian Oliphant. He was midfield in one of the Alfas, but starting in 3rd for today's reverse grid top 10, could be interesting.

The big news for this year (first announced a while ago), is there is a World Tour of TCR, of which 2 rounds are to be in Australia. One at Bathurst later in the year, I'm not sure where the second one will be. This means about 16 European/International TCRs are doing the whole tour, but joining the local fields in the country they are visiting. This should lead to a 35 car field in Australia which will be great.
Some of our locals (Aaron Cameron is one) are also going to compete in compete in some of the overseas rounds. I'm not sure of the details, but it was mentioned that somehow, cars outside of the 16 permanent field, eg, some Aussie drivers, can be invited to compete in the final rounds and be eligible for trophies or whatever.
That's a bit of a first (in recent times) as we generally have not had an international category racing locally. (The exception being a number of Aussie drivers competing in European open wheelers, oh, and also some GT racers of course).

Nearly time for today's event, better get out of bed. 😀😀😀

Last edited:
Speed Series Round 2 @ Phillip Island - coming up this weekend 13-14 May 2023.

TCR Cupra and Lynk & Co both to debut at Phillip Island.

If the entry list is complete, it's a bit disappointing considering we got up to 20 TCR cars last year. Hmm.

Reactions: COL