spare wheel winder assembly

peterbro

Fellow Frogger
The winder assembly has packed it in, and the dealers are asking $400 and on ebay they land at $300 from the UK.
Does anyone know of a better solution?

I can't believe a flimsy part can cost $400.
To not have a functioning spare wheel assembly is a pain in the butt, but then again so is having to fork out $300 to $400.

Any suggestions?

Sorry about that.
It's a 307 station wagon, year 2007, the part number is 673 504.
I haven't taken the part out yet, that will be when I have something to replace it with, or if possible repair its innards.
The symptoms are the wire won't fully retract and bed the spare tyre in the recess.
A search today gleaned that in the UK the matter is getting to the point where there is a movement to make it a recall issue as it constitutes a danger what with a dangly spare tyre not being securely stowed and having the confidence that it is so.
I can't see our lame duck bureaucrats running with that.

This happened to my son's 2004 307. I will ask him what the replacement cost - I believe he got Alpine Motors (Canberra) to supply and fit the replacement.

Cheers

Alec

Common issue. Mine was broken before I bought the car (same model - I actually guessed the model before you mentioned it!). Expensive replacement and I couldn't be bothered spending the cash. I just don't carry a spare anymore...

Hi peterbro,
If you wish to play with yours in an effort to get it to behave I have the part you need from an '07 307 Wagon and will hold it for you if that helps. Just email / PM me before you start so we can settle on the details and shipping etcetera. The donor car is a 130k write off due to slight left side wounds and front plastic bumper damage - runs like a diesel clock otherwise.

Cheers

Decided to pull the assembly out and see if repairable.
The photos show the problem.
Was given a heads up on where to get a new wire installed and crimped and when I put it on their counter, was asked if it was from a Renault.
I took that as a promising start.
So the quote for the new wire and crimping is $110 plus the ubiquitous gst.

Given the weight the wire has to lift, one would think there would be a metal guide to keep it located.
Here's hoping this will fix it.

IMG_2387.JPGIMG_2386.JPGIMG_2383.jpg

Got the wire replaced and reassembled the unit.
The replacement wire is slightly thicker than the old, but still functions.
Back in the car with the spare wheel tucked up out of the way for $120 and a little time.IMG_2397.JPG

Good to see yours is working can you pass on the name of place who fixed it ( your heads up has not been named yet)

In Hobart the place is called "FlexibleDrive" in Moonah, but I reckon any yachting place that makes s/s rigging would be able to do it.
As is visible in the last photo, the end of the cable has a threaded fitting which screws into the lug that connects to the jack carrier.

To remove and disassemble the unit is simple.

From seeing how it works, it looks like it is important to have tension on the wire when lifting or lowering.
The location of the crank makes it hard to be a 1 man/woman job.

I just finished doing the same in my 2006 307 XSE SW.
I wish I'd found this post earlier. I spent ages looking for a replacement from a wrecker. I was quoted $150 for the whole assembly, but he never came through. The part new is over $400.
I went to a place in Sydney called Conwire Control Cables. He did it for $60.
I just finished cleaning out the plastic body (there was a bit of sand in the first part of the winder mechanism), re-greasing it and installed it. It works like new.
It's not this cable that holds the spare wheel in place, it just winds it in and out. There's a second cable that opens/shuts a gripper that grabs the 'dongle' at the end of the cable. That gripper is what stops the wheel descending. This gripper is controlled by lifting the cover on the unwinder mechanism in the boot of the car, that's why this cover is under tension. Make sure that works too because there is no other lock on the cable mechanism.