Some more racing froggies

From another Bathurst pits shot background... is this a fair match?

403andconsulpitsbath2kz.jpg

Another Froggy that raced at Caversham was Bob Annears Dauphine with, I think, a Peugeot 403/4 engine. I think it had handling problems but went like a rocket.

More Caversham / Wanneroo Memories

Interesting thread, guys.
Just a couple more memories linked to above.

I only went to Caversham a few times before it closed. Seem to remember that Bob Biltoft was part of a team of maybe 2 Peugeots sponsored by radio 6PR I think.

Didn't Vic Watson's Goggo Special later become the "Goblin"? I pit crewed for a guy that ran against it with a clubman sports at Wanneroo. The Goblin ended up with a 289 V8 rear-engine driving thru a VW transaxle. What a machine! He could just blast past a few cars on the straight, spin while trying to stop for the corners, and pass the others again on the straight! I remember he carried a special tool - lump of 4x2 wood about 4 ft long. That was to lever the frame apart while they slipped in another transaxle from a wrecker - and that was fairly often! Possibly one of my favourite racecars - he had a lot of fun.

I think we've got some 8mm film of Caversham somewhere - I know it had the Trident Neptune team (Beechey, Manton, McKeown) but I can't remember who else. I have definitely got a half-hour DVD copied from a 8mm film of the 1974 (I think) Touring Car round at Wanneroo - the one where Brock tries to overtake Moffatt on the dirt through the last corner of the race. A good bit of film actually.

Good memories.
Cheers, Fordman.

I think Vic tried the Ford 272 CI in the Goblin that he had in the Peugeot 203 and the monster Hurricane "Clubman". It didn't work and was replaced by a Lancia V6 which he bought from Wally Higgs. This did not last long but the Goblin was blindingly quick. No one but Vic ever drove it but it was marvellous to watch.