SOLD 1998 Peugeot 306 GTI-6

zerogeewhiz

Tadpole
With great frustration and a very heavy heart I'm selling the Diablo Red 306 GTI-6 I bought from here last year.

It has been a long time since I owned a characterful car but I'm afraid my limited skills have remained with me and the time I expected to have to learn new skills vanished as my international work travel schedule continued well after it was supposed to. I'm gutted because this thing is such a delight to drive.

The car is modified and to say it isn't a concours example is an understatement. But it's mechanically pretty good with a couple of things most of the folks in this forum could iron out in a jiffy. This is limited to a noisy/lazy tappet, power steering with weird changes in assistance and the clock is a bit temperamental. So nothing major.

The previous owner thought this was a hard, aggressive car but I really don't think so – it still rides beautifully, is comfortable and will be a great car for someone with some time and more importantly skill to bring back. The mods are actually pretty sympathetic and most of the parts required to take the chassis back to stock are in the boot, so, you know, nothing to worry about there.

Body:

Plenty of clear coat peel and UV damage but my panel beater says the paint is intact and good for a while yet. No rust that I can see and my mechanic didn't attack me after looking at it (he once attacked me with an air filter that hadn't been replaced. He's more of a BMW guy).

Smoked headlight lenses fitted. Not my cup of tea, but there are replacements in the boot

In otherwise reasonable shape so you won't have to get the welding torch out.

Interior:

Grotty but a good clean and it will come up quite well. The seats and carpets are in really good shape and the back seat looks like it has never been sat in. Everything is mostly intact. There's a fairly ordinary head unit but a decent amp and speaker set up that will need a bit of a tidy up to work properly.

Both power windows working just fine after a few hundred bucks spent rewiring the doors and replacing regulators etc.
Dodgy joystick thing for the mirror adjustment and I haven't been able to track down a RHD replacement
The blower is not working - there's a spare in the boot but I haven't even swapped the relay which was the initial suspect

The boot is full of parts:

Three headlights
Three taillights
Original steering rack
Anti-roll bars
Springs
And more

As the friend who picked it up for me said, there's half of another 306 in here.

Engine:

Belts done at 168,000km (previous owner), current odometer reading is about 173,000km
New battery
Mild Piper cam
Cat-back exhaust (Piper I believe)
Mild chip (I think)

She ticks a bit but my understanding is that it's a lazy tappet or similar.

Chassis:

H&S Springs
Lowered ride height
Fresh set of Koni dampers
New front strut mounts and bearings, sway bar links
Braided brake lines
Fresh Bridgestone RE003s up front
Xsara quick steering rack

It's registered in NSW until 13 July 2024. PM me for my mobile and I'll nip out when I get a sec and grab some photos. I'm located in the Sans Souci area in Sydney. $4500.