Small Shudder Approx Every 4th or 5th Wheel Rotation.

I'd take a photo if it wasn't so hard to get them small enough.
If you have an iPhone, you can e-mail the photo to yourself and it will give you a list of size options - from just a few K to original size - just a thought

I have tightened the nut to what I guess to be 160 ftlbs and the split pin hole lines up. I have double checked there is enough thread and there is. I am happy with the result now and the next test is a drive. The bend in the R10 axle was only just noticeable when spun between centres, but very noticeable when a wheel was attached. Tightening with a flat washer was done, according to the manual, to ensure the bearing is properly seated before the V cone washer is tightened. If the bearing is not tightly seated it can later move and allow the nut to loosen.
Pedantry here. I reckon you are seating the splined hub and bearing centre against the face on the half shaft. Then the retainer, with its three studs, hold the bearing outer against the end of the swing axle. Either way, a bent axle isn't a motion that this type of bearing can accomodate.
Do you ever travel on your roads in the north west and north centre of the state of NSW? If so you'd know what I mean. Try the Newel Highway after rain some times.
I was thinking of Menindee to Ivanhoe myself. :) Phew.

I think from memory the bend was just inside where the bearing fits. I recently wanted to use it on my wheel balancer but the uni end moves quite significantly when the hub is spun. Didn't actually measure it but perhaps 3 mm at that end when the bearing carrier is bolted down tight.

schlitzy .... to me an axle is an axle and a disc is a disc. A drive shaft has fitted uni joints or similar and the axle is inclusive and usually cannot be easily removed from the unis or what ever joint is connected at each end.

I'd take a photo if it wasn't so hard to get them small enough.
That's interesting. I had an half shaft bend a wee bit when we were tee-boned a few years ago. I spun it once, saw the lack of straightness and binned it. I'm not sure where it bent. Of course I'd never spun it before as it hadn't ever been off the car before, so I don't know how straight it had been before the impact.

Re the bent axle cause. :2cents:These cars were built lightly as economy cars and the engineers designed them to 'do the job' in a reasonable budget manner and they did. They were not built to truck standards or with 5Ton axles. It is quite possible to bend any part in a car and many young people test them out regularly, unfortunately. I believe in times well past, I slid a Renno into a concrete curb and bent the wheel and hub and ??:rolleyes: I did not look at the individual pieces but just replaced the half axle as I remember it.
It might also be possible in Sunroof's case that the axle might not be bent but the bearing has worn the seat on the axle and the axle is not running true because of this. As always detail inspection would reveal the exact truth. Probably not worth it if you have a good spare.
In JohnW's having a car Tbone yours will achieve lots of bent parts. Hopefully not bent people too !! :mad: I think I would rather be in a new car for that accident !
Jaahn

Re the bent axle cause. :2cents:These cars were built lightly as economy cars and the engineers designed them to 'do the job' in a reasonable budget manner and they did. They were not built to truck standards or with 5Ton axles. It is quite possible to bend any part in a car and many young people test them out regularly, unfortunately. I believe in times well past, I slid a Renno into a concrete curb and bent the wheel and hub and ??:rolleyes: I did not look at the individual pieces but just replaced the half axle as I remember it.
It might also be possible in Sunroof's case that the axle might not be bent but the bearing has worn the seat on the axle and the axle is not running true because of this. As always detail inspection would reveal the exact truth. Probably not worth it if you have a good spare.
In JohnW's having a car Tbone yours will achieve lots of bent parts. Hopefully not bent people too !! :mad: I think I would rather be in a new car for that accident !
Jaahn
Agree all that. Light economy cars. We've been tee-boned twice in the R8 since 1973, left side both times. Yes, it bent a bit and luckily there were no injuries. It has an R10 'B' pilar there from the first time, was straightened the second time...... THe only good thing was that the second time we got it painted properly! Still, it drove home both times so kept its record clean!

3 mm out of round is quite a fair bit on just the end (assume the rest of it is straight). If it were in the middle somewhere you might get away with it, but this will probably make your wobble reappear. I would try to have that straightened if you can't get a good one.

I had another axle and replaced the bent one. It is now in my scrap metal bin in case I ever want it for something else. Everything from the uni to the hub have been replaced. Running just the axle between centres shows the bend. At the time I put a dial gauge on where the bend appears to be and it showed there was a bend where the bearing mates against the axle when pressed on. My guess an xray may show a tiny crack or stretching of the metal at that location. The bearings have a curved inner edge as does the axle to try and prevent this from happening. As we know sharp corners are prone to cracking.

Last edited:
I had another axle and replaced the bent one. It is now in my scrap metal bin in case I ever want it for something else. Everything from the uni to the hub have been replaced. Running just the axle between centres shows the bend. At the time I put a dial gauge on where the bend appears to be and it showed there was a bend where the bearing mates against the axle when pressed on.
You wouldn't want it to break there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No John. I just edited the post to note the chance that that could happen.