Small 80's renault power ups?

renaulturbo:
What do you guys think of a Fuego with a 150 kw+ engine, would it handle alright?
The latest RS Clio with "only" 124kW is considered to handle very well. Think about that in the context of the Fuego which is 20 odd years older in design where you intend to increase the power by 25 kW over the RSC. I reckon you may be able to answer your own question.

Also it isn't the first lowered Fuego I've heard to oversteer visciously. Think about what lowering does with the rear trailing arms, the rear axle will work in the opposite direction to the standard factory ride height.

Last time I checked Mecaparts they were advertising second hand 5 Alpine motors suitable for rebuilding - at a reasonable price. I don't know how well they would go in a jiffy bag but it's something to think about.

cheers!

Simon:
renaulturbo:
What do you guys think of a Fuego with a 150 kw+ engine, would it handle alright?
The latest RS Clio with "only" 124kW is considered to handle very well. Think about that in the context of the Fuego which is 20 odd years older in design where you intend to increase the power by 25 kW over the RSC. I reckon you may be able to answer your own question.

Also it isn't the first lowered Fuego I've heard to oversteer visciously. Think about what lowering does with the rear trailing arms, the rear axle will work in the opposite direction to the standard factory ride height.
??Obviously if a Fuego is pumped up to 150kw+, you wouldnt expect to find technology thats 20 years old...goes without saying you'd have some new toys under the bonnet.

And no, since i lowered my Fuego it handles the 80 odd kw as if it was on tracks.

What would people say in comparison to Peugeot 205's? How would the Fuego chassis rate?

This is only my opinion, feel free to ignore, but I think you are asking for trouble trying to put 150KW worth of power through the front wheels on a Fuego.

By the time you get anything like that happening reliably, you'll have spent the price of a RS Clio doing it. Except at the end you've still got a 20 year old Fuego...

Europa:
By the time you get anything like that happening reliably, you'll have spent the price of a RS Clio doing it. Except at the end you've still got a 20 year old Fuego...
That is the question, isnt it?

If your gonna spend $30,000 on a fuego, its not for investment. Ive thought about upgrading to a clio but have concluded that i want to do something different, have something different. I guess its part of being a froggy and having studied engineering...im not interested in buying more power, im more interested in 'building' power.

My Fuego might be nearly 20 years old but in another twenty i'd prefer to have a 40 year old fuego rather than a 20 year old Clio...

Anyway, im hoping its manners arent lost with 150kw+....

A renault 21 turbo has 135 kw of power out of the factory with what is basically an EFI fuego engine. And that engine is North/South in the normal Reault fasion..

And yes it will bolt in....

Exactly what ive been studying for over a year now...130kw (some poms allegedly have tweaked theirs up to 180 kw) 270nm of torque, standing quarter in 15.3, 0-100 in 7.2 seconds...stock!!

A stock Fuego weighs in at 165 kg less than a Renault 21 too.... tongue

Custom drive shafts could be made but a question mark is the Fuego box...could it handle that power/torque? Would a R21 turbo box be fitted too? (ive asked these questions before but ofcourse this conversion hasnt been done before in oz).

I know ive asked this before too blush but maybe you know Mistareno: Would an engineers certificate be needed for such a conversion?

Ive heard that an engineer's is not needed when cubic capacity has been increased by no more than 10% in Victoria question

renaulturbo:

but a question mark is the Fuego box...could it handle that power/torque?
question
Answer is: No

The NG3 will not handle the extra power/torque. The 21T has a special version, tougher, UN1 gearbox.

renaulturbo:

Would a R21 turbo box be fitted too? (ive asked these questions before but ofcourse this conversion hasnt been done before in oz).

question
If you want reliability yes.

1. Don't even think of not fitting a R21T box (or similar). The fuego box would die a quick death as you are almost doubling torque (torque kills gearboxes quicker than power)

2. As the engine should use the original mounts, I don't know about the engineers certificate for the actually fitting, but the gearbox mounts would have to be fabricated, so I think you need aproval for that.
The engineer will also expect to see that brakes have been upgraded to an acceptable level. R25 fronts, disks rear at a minimum.

P.S: Kiss the insurance good-bye

Ever thought of a Renault Fuego Turbo Quadra....
$$$$$$$$$$$

<small>[ 10 February 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: mistareno ]</small>

mistareno:
Ever thought of a Renault Fuego Turbo Quadra....
$$$$$$$$$$$
LOL yeah crazy conversion...just need a custom made driveshaft for the shorter fuego wheelbase and away you go... :D

Nah that would be too much of a headache. I would personaly prefer front wheel drive than 4x4 anyway. 4x4 would weigh the fuego down another 200-250 odd kilo and would reduce the power delivered to the wheels.

True by driving my friends WRX and GSR, the extra traction 4x4 makes good take offs etc but no fun.

I always say that the Japs went 4x4 to make up for their chassis deficiencies wink

I have often wondered- there are the odd R18 estate/sportwagon 4wds running around (in NZ if I am not mistaken).

What would it be like slotting a better/faster power plant in one of them?

However, you'd just have to be content with having something that went like a shower of s**t but didn't look that good, as the 18's aren't ugly but they aren't no oil paintin'!!

Ben

ps there was that crazy espace with F1 gear in that time- was that 4wd? head_ban head_ban

Renault17:
I have often wondered- there are the odd R18 estate/sportwagon 4wds running around (in NZ if I am not mistaken).

What would it be like slotting a better/faster power plant in one of them?

However, you'd just have to be content with having something that went like a shower of s**t but didn't look that good, as the 18's aren't ugly but they aren't no oil paintin'!!
:
I have a feeling that the transmission in the R18 4WD Break is based on one of the weaker Renault transmissions, rather than the UN1, because I've never heard of them using anything more torquey than the 1647cc naturally aspirated engine.

Dave