Slow Motion Electric Windows

renaulturbo

Tadpole
Although the drivers window rolls up fine, my passenger window takes an eternity to roll up and just seems to get slower. Do the electric motors get tired? Ive got a spare motor to replace it but i wanted to know if it would make a difference before ripping the door apart.

Also, got a new CD deck on weekend. When the new one was installed, the CD player kept on turning off and on. So i took it out and checked the power lead (red). There was no power in it and fuse was fine...So why didnt it happen to my old deck??? One of those dodgy French wiring cases i guess. Ended up connecting the red lead with the yellow one to the battery wire (constant 12v). Sometimes friends tell me that one of my rear lights is not working. This is caused by faulty wiring with which is fixed with a swift thump to the light. This causes much amusement from my Uni colleages who watch the procedure :D

wink What car are the windows having issues on? Is it an old Renault or a new one? wink

Get used to it...at least the window is closing on a regular basis ! approve

The rear lights might be at the connector..the ones on my 18 were a worry...if the Fuego lights are similar then check the dodgy edge contacts where the wiring loom attaches to the crummy flexible pcb.

If all that is too much, open a bottle of vin rouge, put on a Leonard Cohen cd on the new deck and comntemplate living life with a new Hyundai clown

RT,

Most likely cause of window slowing on a car of that vintage is under-use. When I got my R25, the driver's window was just OK, but the passenger window moved like a glacier in comparison.

So, before pulling the door apart, try running the windows up and down about 2-3 times every time you get into and out of the car. After doing this for a few days, my driver's window is screaming at full pace, and the passenger side has lost most of its stickyness. I wouldn't sit there running it up and down for long periods, though, as you may end up burning the motors out. Just the occoasional running and you will notice the difference in a few weeks.

Failing that, take of the trims and lubricate all the rails etc to see if that helps before taking the motor out. Hope this helps.

Skip.

Hi RT

A good product to lubricate the window channels is made by 3M - called Dry Glide, I think - sold in a spray can for sticky cupboard drawers - not cheap, and you have to wipe off any excess as it sets, but does an amazing job of making windows slide better.

Paul

RT,
I had the same problem with my R25 passengers window. The problem was that the actuating cable, which slides in a plastic tube, had gone dry and a but rusty. After pouring penetrating oil into the tube and working the window up and down quite a few times it now works fine. Had to remove the trim etc to get to it. Also, I had a problem with the switch not delivering the full 12 volts. I swapped the switch for one of the spare ones. I havn't had any problems since.

I lubricate the window slides in my car with silicon lubricant - Nulon Ezi-Glide is the brand. It's in a tall red pressure pack can. It was around $10 from a car parts place. Made a huge difference to the speed and smoothness in the 306.

You can use it for anything - from drawer slides to bike chains. It's got no colour so it doesn't stain clothes etc either.

Derek :)

Fuegos dont use the same system as the 25/21 etc, it is a conventional scissor type setup. Lube the sliders on bottom of the glass and the gear wheel with a good sticky grease, and give all the pivot point a good squirt with wd40. If still slow, it will require the motor and its integral gearbox stripped and motor overhauled.

Re. stereo, I had a Fuego which I put a high powered CD player in. the factory power supply did not cut it - the unit would cut out at higher volumes for lack of juice. Run your main supply (with inline fuse) from the one of the two big loom terminals - located on firewall close to windscreen above pedals, behind fusebox. This is a direct source of battery power via a big fat cable.

Fuego window switches are also prone to not delivering the full current to the window motor. New switches will often help speed.
Otherwise, live with it !