Slough ID in Melbourne - mobile mechanics?

Bruce Dickie

Tadpole
As the custodian of our family's 1963 Slough Safari - I need some help to get it back on the road, please. Last driven 2.5 years ago - stored with braking & suspension issues since then. Was regularly started & motor run until an apparent fuelling problem just pre-order (January 2020). Trying to find help to fix fuelling problem (in situations) since then - maybe fuel pump or just a blockage somewhere. Anyone recommend a mobile mechanic around Melbourne who can visit Elwood & diagnose & fix fuel issue? Maybe doesn't need to be a Citroen expert - probably fuel system is all-British, from 1963.
Thanks for suggestions. Bruce D

Best to get a cit experienced guy.
The fuel pump may be British, so overhaul kits should be readily available.

As an initial check, take the supply hose of the carby, remove the fuel filler cap, with a rag and air gun, being careful to not over pressurise the tank, GENTLY put air in the tank filler neck, have an assistant watch for fuel coming out of the hose. When assistant shouts "fuel" remove the air supply.
Now refit the hose, and try a start.
If it will only run after the above priming process the mechanical fuel pump needs an overhaul.
If there is an old fuel filter fitted inline, replace it, or chuck it away.
At the carby fuel inlet (depending on the type of carby) there is a brass plug just beside the inlet fitting. Unscrew this plug, carefully remove the brass mesh screen, clean it, clean out the hole, refit it.
Hopefully that might be the extent oflf the trouble.

Does the hydraulic system still run on the old LHS (or brake fluid) or is it running on Canola Oil ?
Michael

Bruce, Once lockdown 5.0 is over I am happy to come over and help to get your Safari going if you like. No promises, but went through the whole process with mine after all…

another option might be to truck it to the garage in Trentham (or was it Lancefield?) that the other froggers talk quite highly of. Don’t recall the name, but I am sure others will. It’s not that far from you.

Sven

Reactions: IWS
Don't take this the wrong way ....... But is there petrol in the tank :clown: .... One of the cars here runs out when the gauge says a quater of a tank.... I do always remember this .... the second I feel the car lean out and start to die ... that's when I remember :eek: You shoudl be able to prime fuel up from the tank with the manual lever on the pump. If the manual lever goes hard like you have pumped pressure up... try tapping the top of the carby and see if it suddenly fills with petrol, then runs (and wait for it to spew out the top everywhere ... if it does this, shut if off quickly and whip the top off the carby and clean/replace the needle and seat :) ).

Bruce, Once lockdown 5.0 is over I am happy to come over and help to get your Safari going if you like. No promises, but went through the whole process with mine after all…

another option might be to truck it to the garage in Trentham (or was it Lancefield?) that the other froggers talk quite highly of. Don’t recall the name, but I am sure others will. It’s not that far from you.

Sven
The place is called "The Garage" I think, at Woodend.
I still haven't gone to see them. I'm coping so far in pulling the exhaust manifold off to extract the starter in the '68 Safari - - - slow job.

John

How did you go Bruce ? I have a '62 Slough Safari. These early models are relatively easy to work on but then again for one that is first introduced to Citroens, it all must be rather daunting.
You have done the right thing by joining aussiefrogs. The issue of fuel to the carby.
How about hanging a gravity feed fuel container above the radiator (keep any leaking fuel away from electricals) and connect a fuel hose to the carby. Then a tablespoon of petrol into the top of the carby after removing air cleaner hose. The engine should start and run for a while.
Then work back and fit the gravity feed tank to the fuel pump and see what response you get. If you have success there, fit an inline fuel filter and re-connect the fuel tank and work the pump lever to bring the fuel up.
This is all a pretty simple procedure and you have probably sorted it all out by now.
Nice if you could keep us "in the loop"
Michael

How did you go Bruce ? I have a '62 Slough Safari. These early models are relatively easy to work on but then again for one that is first introduced to Citroens, it all must be rather daunting.
You have done the right thing by joining aussiefrogs. The issue of fuel to the carby.
How about hanging a gravity feed fuel container above the radiator (keep any leaking fuel away from electricals) and connect a fuel hose to the carby. Then a tablespoon of petrol into the top of the carby after removing air cleaner hose. The engine should start and run for a while.
Then work back and fit the gravity feed tank to the fuel pump and see what response you get. If you have success there, fit an inline fuel filter and re-connect the fuel tank and work the pump lever to bring the fuel up.
This is all a pretty simple procedure and you have probably sorted it all out by now.
Nice if you could keep us "in the loop"
Michael

If the tank pickup is clogged, he will never get fuel up. Its a stack of discs
1627179081382.png

if it's had fuel dry out in the tank it probably looks like this:

dsfilter.jpg

Thanks Shane. I had a problem with the Traction fuel pump so I sorted through the drum of Citroen pumps and found one with a nice "suction sound" when working the lever. I cleaned it on the outside and then undid the clip on top of the vertical cylinder and "voila" there is this part that you describe .................. a stack of discs. It was as clean as a whistle and not having worked out how it worked, I clipped the top back on.
Installing the pump in the Traction has solved the fuel problem. It works wonderfully.
It''s a lovely design, and now that you've shown how it all works, I'll maintain it as I should. What I love about these earlier pumps, is the ease of bringing the fuel up to the carburettor with the manual lever. My ID always starts instantly as I always use the lever prior to starting to "save" the starter.
What are we going to do without this "live" forum.
Thanks Shane ................................. Michael

This confirms my belief that we should not be adding inline fuel filters to our cars.
They left the factory with perfectly adequate filtration.
If I get a car with an extra filter added, I remove it and clean the original strainers.
The carby inlet strainer is perfectly suitable, accessible and easy to clean.

This confirms my belief that we should not be adding inline fuel filters to our cars.
They left the factory with perfectly adequate filtration.
If I get a car with an extra filter added, I remove it and clean the original strainers.
The carby inlet strainer is perfectly suitable, accessible and easy to clean.
Maybe you are right re Citroens, Bob, but I have them on many of my cars. Having been on many vintage runs these filters have stopped many a carbi from getting choked up. I always carry atleast one spare as I have helped more than one person out with a blocked filter - - very easy to swap over.
So I'd have to think about our beloved citroens as I probably don't have any in them but generally - - I love them - - the saviour, if there is a dodgy tank.

John

Thanks Shane. I had a problem with the Traction fuel pump so I sorted through the drum of Citroen pumps and found one with a nice "suction sound" when working the lever. I cleaned it on the outside and then undid the clip on top of the vertical cylinder and "voila" there is this part that you describe .................. a stack of discs. It was as clean as a whistle and not having worked out how it worked, I clipped the top back on.
Installing the pump in the Traction has solved the fuel problem. It works wonderfully.
It''s a lovely design, and now that you've shown how it all works, I'll maintain it as I should. What I love about these earlier pumps, is the ease of bringing the fuel up to the carburettor with the manual lever. My ID always starts instantly as I always use the lever prior to starting to "save" the starter.
What are we going to do without this "live" forum.
Thanks Shane ................................. Michael

With the ID19 though .... these filters are hidden in the tank pickup ........ :(

Hmmm, mine is at the pickup point of the tank, but has no washers… so, are they missing or did they never have any? As there is no ‘cap’ that would hold the washers I assume the mesh is the ‘improved’ filter for 1964 IDs…

4C8BC793-7EEA-4E34-8953-F6FB1300A9C9.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the responses of encouragement and helpful suggestions - and apologies I didn't get reply to you individually.
An update - I did make contact with one of the early Aussiefrogs responders, who very kindly came over to look at the car (before our latest Lockdown) - and diagnosed the fuelling problem as 'gunk in the carby' - which he was able to clean out, and we managed to get the car started again, & I'm able to at least run the engine every week or so, to charge battery etc. So it's a relief it wasn't the fuel pump or a locked fuel line. Next step - after Lockdown - is to truck the old girl up to a site where said Aussiefrog is working (with a friend) on another Slough ID. She'll need flushing out the old 'LHS', regarding the old spheres and other suspension & brake work (as a start), but at least she'll have familiar company in the 'hospital' (veterinary?) and sympathetic & enthusiastic heath workers.
If you're wondering about this mysterious and little-seen (in recent years) Slough Safari - 'Simone' is featured on pages 60-61 of that wonderful book 'Citroen DS - The classic car in Australia' (also on the back of the dust-jacket).
And no - she's not for sale: I made the mistake of selling her once, and regretted for the next 8 years, until she reappeared in my orbit, and I was able to make a swap (with the ' Judith Durham' Car) to get Simone back).
Thanks again everyone for the responses. I'll try to post progress reports, if anyone's still interested.
Bruce

Thanks everyone for the responses of encouragement and helpful suggestions - and apologies I didn't get reply to you individually.
An update - I did make contact with one of the early Aussiefrogs responders, who very kindly came over to look at the car (before our latest Lockdown) - and diagnosed the fuelling problem as 'gunk in the carby' - which he was able to clean out, and we managed to get the car started again, & I'm able to at least run the engine every week or so, to charge battery etc. So it's a relief it wasn't the fuel pump or a locked fuel line. Next step - after Lockdown - is to truck the old girl up to a site where said Aussiefrog is working (with a friend) on another Slough ID. She'll need flushing out the old 'LHS', regarding the old spheres and other suspension & brake work (as a start), but at least she'll have familiar company in the 'hospital' (veterinary?) and sympathetic & enthusiastic heath workers.
If you're wondering about this mysterious and little-seen (in recent years) Slough Safari - 'Simone' is featured on pages 60-61 of that wonderful book 'Citroen DS - The classic car in Australia' (also on the back of the dust-jacket).
And no - she's not for sale: I made the mistake of selling her once, and regretted for the next 8 years, until she reappeared in my orbit, and I was able to make a swap (with the ' Judith Durham' Car) to get Simone back).
Thanks again everyone for the responses. I'll try to post progress reports, if anyone's still interested.
Bruce
Bruce,

Always interested in updates and photos as Simone is the same year as the Safari I am restoring - so I have been comparing the photos in the book with other books and my car to see what I can learn for my resto.

good to see she is at least running again.

Sven

Good to have contact again Bruce. With Covid constantly menacing us, it's good to have something interesting to think about.
I own the green Slough Safari, two pages back from yours (page 58). With brother John spending time on the later models, I am again reminded that the earlier cars are so much easier to maintain. My '62 Safari has been very reliable for a long time now.
The hydraulic spheres have the "lighter shims" which softens the ride considerably.
The smaller photo of your Safari shows it displaying the full hubcaps which is so ............................. Slough.
Michael Paas