Six hours Simcas

Westair

Fellow Frogger
A couple of photos courtesy of Murray Thomas and Westy of Caversham Six Hour.
Rules had just changed and seatbelts were compulsory and to make sure you started with seatbelt done up there were runners for the "Le Mans" start.
Before this if you used a seat belt you jumped in and put on belt when you got back to main straight.

Attachments

• Simca Esses Caversham.jpg
    Simca Esses Caversham.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 357
  • simca 1963 cav.jpg
    simca 1963 cav.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 351
Westy,
In the photo of the LeMans start with "runners" my Simca is on the left of the line up. It has a red plastic cover over the bonnet and wings. The recently resurfaced track still had dust on it, blue metal was stripping paint and blasting windscreens.
This was also around the time laminated screens came in. In the interim we were allowed to run regular safety glass. The Simca of course had its "Safety Circle" screen!
Safety belt? Mine was fitted with a simple lap belt. :eek: :eek:

The quality of the few photos I have of these events are much the same. Lots of trees and sky with a little car in the middle. I don't think anyone had Pentax etc with zoom lenses back then.

Lap straps were only way to go. I remember some one had one made from parachute harness.!!!
We put roll cage in Peugeot 203 (holden motor) for Six hour -Wally Higgs had given us roller he had been preparing for the skids and we had to change body again after first scrutineering at Carlisle Tech as Rod Donovan protested as we would intimidate other drivers. :evil: