Simca Aronde P60, USA (inspection advice)

forzamacchi

Fellow Frogger
Hello All,
There is a Simca Aronde for sale near me. It is quite an undertaking, not rotted. I am going to look at it this coming weekend. The owner states that the starter clicks when ignition is turned, but the car will not fire. My question is whether the P60 has an external cranking mechanism. My R8 had a hand crank tool.... I just wan to make sure its a bad starter and not a frozen engine...... Thanks! Ben

Put it in gear and push it. You'll at least know it isn't seized, although it'll take quite a push to pump fuel up with a mechanical fuel pump!

I don't recall my friend's Simca having a handle but I could be wrong. There are a few Simca folk out here who will know. You might get a reply from Wildebeeste.

They are pretty robust mechanically. I guess it has a Paris-Rhone or Ducellier starter with a relay in need of adjustment.

Gee, they've all gone quiet on us. There are a few Simca folk who appear here from time to time. Hmm.

I suggest PMs to relevant folk.

I'm thinking that the two who haven't responded simply aren't looking at Aussiefrogs, but you're right, as a PM would generate an email I think. Will do.

Hello All,
There is a Simca Aronde for sale near me. It is quite an undertaking, not rotted. I am going to look at it this coming weekend. The owner states that the starter clicks when ignition is turned, but the car will not fire. My question is whether the P60 has an external cranking mechanism. My R8 had a hand crank tool.... I just wan to make sure its a bad starter and not a frozen engine...... Thanks! Ben

Ben, Let's start from the cheap end. "Starter clicks but the car will not fire". Flat battery ?
No, the P60 and earlier models [apart from '50's] had no external crank handle. Doubtful if it had a priming lever on the fuel pump.
JohnW's suggestion of putting it in gear and attempting to turn the engine by pushing the car. Or try turning the engine via the crankshaft bolt on the front of the engine. My memory could be playing tricks here, it may not have one because of the centrifugal oil filter?
Getting serious now. Check for signs of emulsified oil in the engine, Does the oil dipstick read over full. the oil filler cap showing any signs of water in the oil, creamy mess ? Also is there any evidence of over heating around the radiator, rusty stains etc.
Then if the owner permits [very unlikely] carry out a cooling system pressure test. Don't over pressurise because the system is only 4 lb/sq inch. Then finally if the engine can be made to run, carry out a cylinder compression test ideally the readings will be fairly equal.

All the best Ben with your project.
Wildebeest.

Any chance of a photo of the potential purchase Ben? I'd like an Aronde one day. One of those models that are probably non existent in Australia - the 2 door. I quite like the Rush engine too :approve:

Simca Coupe.jpg

112082d1548807637-simca-aronde-p60-usa-inspection-advice-simca-coupe.jpg

Last edited:
Put it in gear and push it. You'll at least know it isn't seized, although it'll take quite a push to pump fuel up with a mechanical fuel pump!

Put some fuel down the throat of the carbie

Bush Mechanic -- spray Eezie start through long tube into carbie while pushing

Lovely accessorised two door. The four door Montllhery model was available in Aus. although rare. They were distinguished by the side flash on the body, the rubber over riders on the bumpers and the full wheel trims. I think the car shown is the European model sans the bonnet [squashed chook] mascot. This one has different park lights and wheel arch trims. Probably "Rush Special or Super engines also.

Sorry to hack your thread Ben but we have an absolute cracker sedan in Western Australia 👍
1548833484639.jpg

Aha, Justin's car? Looks good.

We have a rear-engine 1100 here too. There used to be one in Adelaide, parked on Greenhill Road, Unley, but that was in the 80s...

They're pretty nice conventional saloons, Simcas. They used to go and handle well, I remember, with a truly weird windscreen wiper action.

Aha, Justin's car? Looks good.

We have a rear-engine 1100 here too. There used to be one in Adelaide, parked on Greenhill Road, Unley, but that was in the 80s...

They're pretty nice conventional saloons, Simcas. They used to go and handle well, I remember, with a truly weird windscreen wiper action.

Darrel Manning's car ........ Justin's car not on the road yet but not far from it.

My old P60 wagon which is now in South Australia.