Should I get this 205??

MR_205Mi16

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

I am considering purchasing an 89 model (Series 2) 205 GTI. The body of the car is a little bit ratty as it does have the odd dent and scratch. However it does not appear to have been in any major accidents. It could do with a respray.

The owner purchased the car from a car yard, as it has 134, 000 kms on the clock. I`m a bit weary if the kms are geniune but maybe i`m just being paranoid. Mechanically the car runs like a dream. It does not smoke and neither does it have a bad idle. It feels very punchy.

I`m now contemplating whether I should get it or wait for a S3 to come up.

Its red with a sunroof. The asking price is $5000.

How reliable are 205's.?

Being over 10 years old am I looking for trouble in regards to things breaking and needing replacing?

Give me your thoughts guys.

Regards

Damien

Hi guys,

I am considering purchasing an 89 model (Series 2) 205 GTI. The body of the car is a little bit ratty as it does have the odd dent and scratch. However it does not appear to have been in any major accidents. It could do with a respray.

The owner purchased the car from a car yard, as it has 134, 000 kms on the clock. I`m a bit weary if the kms are geniune but maybe i`m just being paranoid. Mechanically the car runs like a dream. It does not smoke and neither does it have a bad idle. It feels very punchy.

I`m now contemplating whether I should get it or wait for a S3 to come up.

Its red with a sunroof. The asking price is $5000.

How reliable are 205's.?

Being over 10 years old am I looking for trouble in regards to things breaking and needing replacing?

Give me your thoughts guys.

Regards

Damien

i wouldnt say that buying a 205 even being 10 years old is looking for trouble, but i would check that everything is mechanically A1. being that its done 100000kms, check that its had its major service done, check the cam belt is ok, check that the sun roof doesn't leak. other then that check that there isnt to much rust in it and the rest should be fine. as for the second part of the question a series 3 is probably a nicer car if you don't want to fiddle with the engine bits

Like you Damien I am over 10 years old too.
To this point I have not broken any of my parts, nor replaced much yet.

No the cars are grouse and last well. You need to start the car from cold. Listen for noise, look for smoke.
Has it got service books to substantiate k's?
Not an expensive car, and don't wait for an S3, I think.
Why does it need a repaint? DOes this indicate that the paint is uniformly old everywhere and therefore hasn't had any major repairs?? or is it just shitty?
Very reliable car generally.

If you worryed take it to one of the peugeot mechanics to do a full inspection of the car it will cost but not in the long run. 205 are pretty reliable cars once everything is sorted. Don't however let the servicing slide.

Cheers Nick