Shot in the foot with a 'puter?

Alan S

1000+ Posts
A while back, around the time I was trying to organise the LHM order, my aussiefrogs e-mail chucked a funny; gibgib knew all about it at the time and the problem was rectified. In the middle of it all, my back up e-mail service which I was forced to use, received a message from a business which appeared to be legitimate but in fact had a virus attached. I contacted the company by phone when a second one arrived which had supposedly a very confidential document attached to it. Whilst I did try to download the first one as it related to a current transaction, the second one was obviously to do with the personal business dealings of the guy who owned the company. I was then told that a lot of people had phoned advising of similar type things and it was apparently a thing called the "Majestic or Majesty" virus. We whacked a virus scanner straight through but no sign of it was found. However in the past few days, my aussiefrogs e-mail advises my other account whenever a message comes through and it has just started showing an attachment to this message and instead of clocking in at 1kb is showing 8kb's instead. Anybody else had this happen to them or am I presently trying to send myself a virus? :rolleyes: Bloody computers :p :p

Alan S

I use Linux (an alternative operating system) As I dont use any of M$ useless browsers or Mail pgms, I dont get the problem of viruses (because they exploit weaknesses in the M$ code to propogate) Besides anything that ever looks sus I just delete (Its never that important it cant be replaced if necessary).
My advice to M$ users (Thats Micro-soft for people who dont know - the only Co named after the owners appendage!) is to use another browser (Opera is a good one - downloadable from the web but not free) & a mail programme like Eudora. It is also advisable to turn off the HTML option in mail programs as nasties can be hidden in HTML also. As far as Virus checkers go, use a good commercial one & update frequently (at least once/fortnight)
Of course you could always bite the bullet & go Linux for all web activities (Requires relearning system however, but is worth it) If you want to look at this, find a local user group, & usually they have an 'installfest' where they assist you.
Regards Doug (Free software forever! - bypass the greedy Yank Co's)