Shocks/Dampers - life expectancey?

“The old order changeth yielding place to new

And God fulfills himself in many ways

Lest one good custom should corrupt the world."

Tennyson.

Let me report back first, before you nail me to the cross . . .
:wink2:

Last edited:
The discussion mentioned the sort of shocks PSA would fit to a race sports model. The DS3 R3 Racing is as hot a hatch as you could wish, built on the same floor as the Pug.

It has BOS three-track adjustable shock absorbers (low-and high-speed compression and rebound). http://www.bos-suspension.com/

DS3 Racing front suspension.jpg

Ah well, good luck with the change. It seems early and low mileage to me.

IMHO it depends 100% on what you actually want from the car. We replaced the fronts on our 306 at perhaps 180,000 km and 15 years as they were at the leaking point, if I remember correctly. The difference was negligible but it set us up for the next 7 years before it was sold.

Some folk, me included, value that old commodity "ride comfort". But moderns have lost that plot by and large.

I'll be interested to hear how you rate the change and, more importantly, why you make whatever the judgement is. All interesting.

I was driving my Citroen CX today and NOTHING comes close unless you have a DS... :roflmao:

Best of luck with it.

OK. Shocks now fitted to the French Tart.

Now, where do I start? Dropped off the Tart for it’s Munroe shock fix and returned when advised. To my concern the Shock Shop had closed for the day and no one was to be seen. The keys to the Tart were lying on the front floor and a note pinned to the steering wheel said, ‘No charge. Free service’.

I looked under the car and the Munroe’s were there, so I thought, ‘What luck.’

However, as I drove the Tart home, the handling had degraded to that of a drunken hobo on ice skates. It was dangerous.

Next day I sped back to the Shock Shop, only to find it closed down with a FOR SALE sign up. No one was there!

I went home feeling miserable, and only became more miserable when I saw on the TV news that night that a set of four Peugeot shocks went at an auction for $750,000. I looked at the shocks on TV and to my astonishment realised they were mine!

They were purchased by an eccentric Pug owner who mostly had last century models and even a 19[SUP]th[/SUP]century Pug with wooden spoke wheels. He stated that he had purchased the Pug shocks as an investment, saying that in two years they will be worth $1,000,000.

If only I had listened. If I had known, I would have ripped the Pug shocks out, auctioned them myself, and trashed the rest of the car.

Authors note: the above is a story of pure fiction.

REALITY:

Yes, Munroe shocks were fitted professionally. The shop tested the old shocks and found that three were 40% worn while the forth was 55% worn.

I didn’t expect a 40% improvement in handling etc, however there was a noticeable difference in feel, braking, cornering and NVH reduction. I would say a 15% - 20% improvement, which is par for the course.

So all ends well and I am very happy with the results. RECOMMENDED.

Over and out, I won’t be back.

Oh, by the way, I have the old worn shocks. I’m selling them for $500,000. Interested?

OK. Shocks now fitted to the French Tart.

Now, where do I start? Dropped off the Tart for it’s Munroe shock fix and returned when advised. To my concern the Shock Shop had closed for the day and no one was to be seen. The keys to the Tart were lying on the front floor and a note pinned to the steering wheel said, ‘No charge. Free service’.

I looked under the car and the Munroe’s were there, so I thought, ‘What luck.’

However, as I drove the Tart home, the handling had degraded to that of a drunken hobo on ice skates. It was dangerous.

Next day I sped back to the Shock Shop, only to find it closed down with a FOR SALE sign up. No one was there!

I went home feeling miserable, and only became more miserable when I saw on the TV news that night that a set of four Peugeot shocks went at an auction for $750,000. I looked at the shocks on TV and to my astonishment realised they were mine!

They were purchased by an eccentric Pug owner who mostly had last century models and even a 19[SUP]th[/SUP]century Pug with wooden spoke wheels. He stated that he had purchased the Pug shocks as an investment, saying that in two years they will be worth $1,000,000.

If only I had listened. If I had known, I would have ripped the Pug shocks out, auctioned them myself, and trashed the rest of the car.

Authors note: the above is a story of pure fiction.

REALITY:

Yes, Munroe shocks were fitted professionally. The shop tested the old shocks and found that three were 40% worn while the forth was 55% worn.

I didn’t expect a 40% improvement in handling etc, however there was a noticeable difference in feel, braking, cornering and NVH reduction. I would say a 15% - 20% improvement, which is par for the course.

So all ends well and I am very happy with the results. RECOMMENDED.

Over and out, I won’t be back.

Oh, by the way, I have the old worn shocks. I’m selling them for $500,000. Interested?

For the record, my 1989 405 had Peugeot branded shocks too. So it didn't end in the 04 era.

My 404C has new Peugeot inserts in it but for the rear I had to get Records.

Shows the hazards of trying to offer advice from a distance. Had you owned the car from new for instance? My experience is that every car I have seen with aftermarket shockers (not high level units such as the B6s) has been unsatisfactory, either leaking or not working well. I'd be interested to know if they top out on the trailing edge of speed humps.

Just had an anonymous offer for the four old, worn 207 shocks. $350,000. It wasn't you, was it? Anyhow I'm hanging out for half a mill. Or, I'm thinking of returning them to PSA so they can be used again on the production line. :tongue:

It became fashionable to deride ‘ride’ back in the days of Peter ‘Handlingberger’ of Commodore fame.
If the family car didn’t corner flat and hard it was rubbish apparently. So we ended up with ‘sporty suspensions’ on everything in order to satisfy the auto journalists.
Peugeot and Citroën didn’t comply and were constantly criticised is my recollection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The VB was excellent for ride and handling but after Hanneburger went back to Germany GMH thought they would improve it for the VC. I was surprised when I went for a ride in one, expecting what I had experienced in the VB, seemed very harsh and the handling unpleasant.
I always find it amusing to follow cars and watch them bounce up and down over bumps that I don't notice even in my 205, Commodore and Mercedes seem the worse.

Interesting. Radial tuned suspension even. Now that was exciting, not!

What a potpourri of conversations arise from suspension marketing and reviewers.

RTS was just a name stolen from previous US marketing. With Hannenburger controlling it in Australia it was excellent and needed to be as the engines were dreadful, something like 63 kw out of a 3300. A complete rethink of geometry not just springs shocks and roll bars.

I would put the Commodore in front of the 504 in the late 70s for handling, Peugeot made a massive leap forward with the 505 STi in 1983 and then again with the FWD cars.

Ah, the Commodore.

I actually watched this race live on Channel 7 in 1989… I’ve always remembered five things about watching this race (and the 6-pack I drank during it also)…

1. That beautiful looking NISSAN Skyline HR31 GTS-R, with the magic Nissan RB20DET-R in-line 6 cylinder, wining the race. Those flames shooting out the left hand side. I have a pic of me standing next to it in Perth (Wanneroo Park/Barbagallo Raceway) 1989.

2. The last minute of the race, with Mike Raymond calling out, “George, Hang on to her!"

3. Peter Brock's amazing recovery from a corner 360 degree spin.

4. A Holden VL Commodore SS Group A SV (Walkinshaw), leading a round of the ATCC.

5. The miserable cold winter’s day at Winton, Victoria.

Bonus with Alan Moffat doing commentary.

Nissan's tour de force, three car assault…

Loved it and have always wanted to see it again somehow.

Cheers…

enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuk0Wz3Zg_E
and, watch at least the first eight minutes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rOoTwgRYs

Anyway I can’t wait to try the C5 Aircross for its suspension alone.
I’m over corse chip bitumen and sporty suspension.
A nice quiet ride thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk