Shockies!

Stuey:
Thanks all!

Alan - is that tool a Renault special tool? Sounds interesting - I've seen the plastic plug you're talking about. Sounds like a good idea!

Simon - correct spelling? Allinquant? I've never seen it written.

(my shocks are actually OK I think, but all four of them knock like hell, especially when cold)
Yep, that is a special Renault tool. The threaded rod pops through the hole and supposrts a plate which fits below the spring plate that bolts through the strut tower.

Allinquant is the correct spelling.

The cold rattle is normal. It seems to affect every 12 I have known with the Monroe shocks! If the shocks are effective, and the rattle is not too annoying, probably best to leave them in.

Simon

Stuey,
Yes it is a Renault special tool, but a reasonably competent person could make one in less than an hour.
Alan.

Let's hope that "reasonably competent" persons creation doesn't start giving way just as the shocker is removed!! 12 springs are not to be taken lightly!

Simon

Thanks again. I'll have a think about this special tool. My fabrication skills are second to none. eek! :confused: eek!

The threaded support rod is a single rod, I take it?

Stuey Knievel

Hi All

I have made up my own special tool for removing the shocks. It is along the lines of the factory set up. I have been thinking about designing a tool to actually remove the springs and replace them but haven't worked that one out yet. I have a few ideas. And yes my home made tool removes and replaces shocks and is just as safe as using the factory item.

Regards Col.

I have been eagerly watching this discussion regarding Spings and Shocks hoping to see if anyone would spout off some info. for the R25

Can anyone advise me if I'm up for a big job, lotsa' money to drop the front end of my faithful 25 ?

Cheers
James

Col,

How about a detailed description of that tool, me ol' mate? :D I haven't a clue what the factory one looks like.

I've seen the proper spring compressor in the metal, though. Just not this one that holds the spring on the car while you drop the shockie out.

Cheers

Stuey

<small>[ 04 July 2002, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

Stuey

When i get my web cam back I'll take a picky for you so you can see what it looks like and possibly make one of your own

Regards Col.

Thanks Col!

BTW I spoke to the main Renault wrecker over here - he reckons the R12 Koni's aren't rebuildable (he's got some on a car there). Dave C whaddaya reckon to that? He didn't seem to keen to remove them, maybe that's the problem.

Stuey.

<small>[ 05 July 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

Stuey

My understanding is that any Koni is rebuildable. I took mine to WA Suspensions about 12 months back and had all 4 rebuilt and revalved to a stiffer spec for $275.

Postscript: Wrecked a 76 R12 later in the year. It had enticing red shocks in the back ... they turned out to be Gabriel Red Ryders (Made in the USA) And they weren't half bad either!

God love those guys at Renwreck but nobody is the font of all knowledge

Gabriel shocks arnt half bad, sell quite a few of them at work, they are available for most renos.

Stuey

I got my web cam back today and I also found the tool for removing shockies so I will take a pic for you later on in the week

Regards COL.

Hi Stuey

I have sent you an e-mail with a picture of the shockie tool attached. I couldn't work out how to put it on here so sent it e-mail instead.

Regards COL.

Hi ppl,
Apparently all shocks can be reconditioned and or re-valved Pedders in Dandenong Vic near my home offered to re-valve my standard R10 shocks for $85 each.

Can anyone post the pic of that spring holder on the site? I know it could be a hassle- I couldn't manage to work out the whole pic posting thing last time either. It's just that I am sure anyone with a 12/15/17 would be interested.

Cheers Ben

ps perhaps the moderator of the renault forum could help out with posting the pic?