Shock absorbers - redux . . .

One more thought on tyres & the 185/60 option: given your remarks about wet avoidance, why not a road friendly "track-day" style tyre? Of the few availablein this size, I'd choose Bridgestone's RE71R.

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/potenza-motorsport-re-71r

Nice tyre. But I'm stuck on 195/55.

Re wet avoidance? It's because I don't like the Red Jett getting wet at all - anywhere. It is housed and washed about three times per year.

OK, just a thought.

So far in my life, I haven't washed a car (although my first wife chose to wash my Midget once in the early seventies). This is not, however, because I don't like my cars wet but more that I am comfortable with them being dirty.

I'm fairly sure I washed one of the Scenics the year before last. I did wipe the sawdust carefully off the 4CV a month ago.

OK, just a thought.

So far in my life, I haven't washed a car (although my first wife chose to wash my Midget once in the early seventies). This is not, however, because I don't like my cars wet but more that I am comfortable with them being dirty.

I like your style . . .:headbang:

With the Ret Jett (which I don't really mind it getting dusty), it is all about keeping the underbody, arches, etc dry. At least I can say that the last time the Red Jett was driven in the rain was 2009. I've owned this babe since driving it out of the showroom brand new in 1992. I would have to the the last one owner of a N14 SSS Oz Spec. :crazy:

Dry road? The Red Jett goes up and down this road every 10 days. The RCZ does it most days. Great fun way to drive home. Beechmont Road starts at 0:45. I live at the top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YtNI_xjT8Q

ps: Tyres last about 30,000

Last edited:
Yes, well I was aware of the Midget's rust traps & was known to squirt mud out from behind the front wheels. Current toys have managed wet-road use without concerning rust problems.

The two rear-engined Renaults (58 4CV bought from the original owner in early 1968 & R8, bought new by my mother in 1966) suffer more from box section condensation than wet roads, so sprayed in tectyl wax or fish oil has been a more important preventative.

The Djet (bought in early 2012) is glass reinforced polyester body over a solid backbone tube & square tube outriggers & the only rust concern is the box section R8 front cross member - which has received remediation, reinforcement & preventative spraying.

A Moke 1275 was bought new in mid 1979 as a Midget replacement. Knowing that I wouldn't sell it (I haven't ever sold a car, the Midget went with my first wife when we amicably separated) but that it was a mass of rust traps, I proceeded to have it treated with tectyl wax.

As I remarked, wet corners are the apex of my driving pleasure so some way of managing things was imperatival.

cheers! Peter

Happily, squirting mud out of wheel arches does not constitute "washing". It is preventative maintenance. :)