ShitBox Spring 2021 (Held in March 2022 due to COVID) - 505 GTI cruises through again

thatguy

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
After being cancelled twice due to COVID the ShitBox Rally took place over last week from Hay NSW doing an anticlockwise loop through remote NSW (through Silverton and Cameron Corner) into SA (Arkaroola, William Creek, Kingoonya and Kimba) and finishing in Adelaide CBD. Event distance was approx 3400kms over the 7 days with another ~2000kms getting to the start and back to Sydney.

Despite 420,000kms on the clock and doing its 5th rally, the 505 performed flawlessly yet again. We did have to adjust the fan belt after day 1 due to dirt and dust making it slip a little but yet again zero flats or mechanical issues for the car. As @parry knows all too well the Pug proved itself as an outback limo over the rough roads at high speeds. Our buddy group had an eclectic mix of old and new Mercs, AU Falcon wagons, Magna wagon and a Charade - all making to the end with minor issues along the way.

The 505 is home now and will enjoy a thorough clean and refresh before it does it once, or twice, more in future rallies. Couple of random pics below from the event. Can highly recommend these events as a way to explore this vast country, enjoy some amazing driving and meet a broad cross-section of people (event attracts approx 225 cars/teams) - best of all they've now raise almost $30M for Cancer research since their inception

original_4648639b-f9dc-4b6e-9b73-0e62c913b586_IMG20220401170750.jpg

as the car is painted in chalkboard paint our buddy group decided to "decorate it" with interesting messages :rolleyes:

IMG20220327115721.jpg

IMG20220327112507.jpg

IMG20220330114754.jpg

IMG20220403192445.jpg

Epic. Clearly your buddies watch too much top gear 😜

Epic. Clearly your buddies watch too much top gear 😜
Probably true.

Had a moment in Kimba when the local police came to see what all the craziness was about and rolled in behind us. They were beeping their horn when stopped behind us which made us a little nervous.

When we got into camp we remembered our buddy group had written "honk for gay rights" on the rear bumper in chalk and had a good laugh with the cops about it later.

What a ripper of a event! do you camp or live in hotels en route?

It's a camping event and that's half the fun

IMG20220330071357.jpg

IMG20220329064709.jpg

Organisers do a great job engaging the communities we stop in. Participants pay a camping and catering fee before the rally (~$500 a head for the 7 days) and for that the communities provide the campsite, nightly dinner, breakfast and a lunch pack for the day after departure - it's not a gastronomic tour just good country food and no one is going to starve.

With 500 odd people rolling into towns that like Kingoonya that aren't major tourist stops and have a population of less than 20 it's an important fundraiser for local community and sporting projects. Not to mention the $$$ that are spent at the bar each evening that also helps the town.

Also the rally circus rolling into town brings in people from remote properties, stations and surrounding towns (some travel many hours) to help out with catering, run the bar etc and also to spend the night drinking and telling stories with fresh faces.

aw man I like the sounds of this gig even more!

After being cancelled twice due to COVID the ShitBox Rally took place over last week from Hay NSW doing an anticlockwise loop through remote NSW (through Silverton and Cameron Corner) into SA (Arkaroola, William Creek, Kingoonya and Kimba) and finishing in Adelaide CBD. Event distance was approx 3400kms over the 7 days with another ~2000kms getting to the start and back to Sydney.

Despite 420,000kms on the clock and doing its 5th rally, the 505 performed flawlessly yet again. We did have to adjust the fan belt after day 1 due to dirt and dust making it slip a little but yet again zero flats or mechanical issues for the car. As @parry knows all too well the Pug proved itself as an outback limo over the rough roads at high speeds. Our buddy group had an eclectic mix of old and new Mercs, AU Falcon wagons, Magna wagon and a Charade - all making to the end with minor issues along the way.

The 505 is home now and will enjoy a thorough clean and refresh before it does it once, or twice, more in future rallies. Couple of random pics below from the event. Can highly recommend these events as a way to explore this vast country, enjoy some amazing driving and meet a broad cross-section of people (event attracts approx 225 cars/teams) - best of all they've now raise almost $30M for Cancer research since their inception

View attachment 202888
as the car is painted in chalkboard paint our buddy group decided to "decorate it" with interesting messages :rolleyes:

View attachment 202889

View attachment 202890

View attachment 202891

View attachment 202892

Hi Thatguy,
It looks like a real experience. My daughter and I are thinking about participating in the shitbox however, I'm a bit confused with the the regs saying the car must be $1000 and not a classic but your 505 must be worth more than a grand and you said there were new and old mercs in it; could you please enlighten me. Thanks cheers Pete

It looks like a real experience. My daughter and I are thinking about participating in the shitbox however, I'm a bit confused with the the regs saying the car must be $1000 and not a classic but your 505 must be worth more than a grand and you said there were new and old mercs in it; could you please enlighten me. Thanks cheers Pete

Its pretty simple @PeteB49 - after this event, due to COVID inflation, they've bumped the price to $1500 but it's a pretty soft limit - there is no stipulation of min or max age of car only that it is registered and roadworthy. A good portion of the cars are on historic or club registration.

Of course many people spend more than $1000 (or $1500 now). They're still allowed to participate but may come in for a special penalty on the rally - I won't spoil the surprise of what that is. Organisers certainly don't ask for receipts or proof of purchase as the objective is to get people on the event raising money for Cancer Council not a contest to see who can buy the cheapest car. Our 505 GTI genuinely cost $900 when I purchased it from Parry back in 2017 for our first event with it.

Box also run the MysteryBox Rally which is a shorter (5 day) event starting and finishing in the same town but the route is a "mystery" hence the name. The cars for that need to be at least 25 years old but have no price restrictions ... our 505 meets both event's entry requirements.

Recommend giving it a go with your daughter - its a great adventure for a good cause.

Its pretty simple @PeteB49 - after this event, due to COVID inflation, they've bumped the price to $1500 but it's a pretty soft limit - there is no stipulation of min or max age of car only that it is registered and roadworthy. A good portion of the cars are on historic or club registration.

Of course many people spend more than $1000 (or $1500 now). They're still allowed to participate but may come in for a special penalty on the rally - I won't spoil the surprise of what that is. Organisers certainly don't ask for receipts or proof of purchase as the objective is to get people on the event raising money for Cancer Council not a contest to see who can buy the cheapest car. Our 505 GTI genuinely cost $900 when I purchased it from Parry back in 2017 for our first event with it.

Box also run the MysteryBox Rally which is a shorter (5 day) event starting and finishing in the same town but the route is a "mystery" hence the name. The cars for that need to be at least 25 years old but have no price restrictions ... our 505 meets both event's entry requirements.

Recommend giving it a go with your daughter - its a great adventure for a good cause.
Thanks for the info thatguy, I'm impressed and will give it a go. I saw a 405 for sale on Gumtree that has competed in 2 Shitboxes it might be worth looking at. Thanx

Thanks for the info thatguy, I'm impressed and will give it a go. I saw a 405 for sale on Gumtree that has competed in 2 Shitboxes it might be worth looking at. Cheers Pete

Cheers Pete

Saw the 405 you're considering. Looks very sorted and sure to be a fun drive.

If you grab it be prepared for a little scrutiny from them about price - don't stress though the penalties are fun and most have a good laugh about it.

Saw the 405 you're considering. Looks very sorted and sure to be a fun drive.

If you grab it be prepared for a little scrutiny from them about price - don't stress though the penalties are fun and most have a good laugh about it.
Yes, it does look the part. Maybe I could ask the owner for the receipt when he bought it to rally......it could have been about $1500 not taking into account the money spent on it over the years and him wanting to get some funds back. Cheer Pete(y)

Every car I've ever owned is $1000. I mean, thats what the box on the rego forms are for :p

Yes, it does look the part. Maybe I could ask the owner for the receipt when he bought it to rally......it could have been about $1500 not taking into account the money spent on it over the years and him wanting to get some funds back. Cheer Pete(y)

@PeteB49 Just to confirm a receipt doesn't matter for the rally - though will certainly save you paying excess stamp duty which no one likes.

Each day on the rally, at morning briefing, the organisers pick a couple of cars they believe don't meet the $1000 (now $1500) price. There is no audit or discussion, it's completely their discretion though some are pretty obviously worth a lot more. Once picked both drivers of these cars then get up in front of everyone for their "punishment".

Again this is all a bit of fun for everyone and over in less than 30secs ... many people actively try to get picked for this as they enjoy the spectacle. Key, like everything on the rally, is to embrace the new experiences and be willing to laugh at yourself - as a hint it involves a pole and some dancing ;).

If you like the car grab it and enjoy a great event

@PeteB49 Just to confirm a receipt doesn't matter for the rally - though will certainly save you paying excess stamp duty which no one likes.

Each day on the rally, at morning briefing, the organisers pick a couple of cars they believe don't meet the $1000 (now $1500) price. There is no audit or discussion, it's completely their discretion though some are pretty obviously worth a lot more. Once picked both drivers of these cars then get up in front of everyone for their "punishment".

Again this is all a bit of fun for everyone and over in less than 30secs ... many people actively try to get picked for this as they enjoy the spectacle. Key, like everything on the rally, is to embrace the new experiences and be willing to laugh at yourself - as a hint it involves a pole and some dancing ;).

If you like the car grab it and enjoy a great event