Shed some light on this for me?

gibgib

Local Tyrant
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have received similar messages in the past that are usually bots, but this one is a member here.
I responded to their second message but it must have gone to their junk folder.

They are maybe referring to the tick box that was required to proceed with using the site in April which asked to re-read the same rules & privacy we registered with - no changes have been made for at least 10 years.
Some members are still putting their own email & phone numbers into their posts, this is not a good idea at all!
It was also suggested on the Xenforo webmasters forum that reminding would also assist to stay compliant with any GDPR data requests.
Just wanting to remind again.

I'll post another one a bit later of similar effect from another source.
The joys of running a web forum ;)

Hello,
You have recently put a block on aussiefrogs unless users 'consent' to your use of their data.
I do NOT consent to your data mining of users and have enquired twice, with no response.
Your so called privacy policy is not one. It is merely an attempt to take users data using coercion.
You have not identified yourself and your vague policy does not name you
This is the third message I have sent to you and so far there has been no reply apart from a repeat of the policy I reject.
You do not have users consent and should not be using coercion to take their data.
If what you are doing was ok, you would have openly identified yourself and replied to any genuine concerns from users.
Please remove the privacy policy block from the site and refrain from collecting , storing, using or selling users data
Also please delete all users data you have already stored
And please confirm

Here is the response I had sent (28/05/21) including another email I have received in the last month as example (name & location changed):

Hi,
The message is up as a reminder of the privacy policy which hasn't changed but to stay compliant with any GDPR data requests it was suggested on the Xenforo web forum it should be refreshed to the users.
It's the same one you agreed to when you registered.

The only information that is held here under control/ out of public view is your email address, IP addresses & password but password is encrypted & cannot be read.
Other items I don't know about could be built into Xenforo software, including cookie scripts & tracking. Everything else is public if you enter it into your profile.

Members are still putting email addresses & mobile numbers into their messages even though it says not to.
Below is an example of what is becoming more of an inbox filler since this year.

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is John Smith, and I am a resident of Atlanta, Georgia. I have a few questions about your process for responding to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) data access requests:

1. Would you process a GDPR data access request from me even though I am not a resident of the European Union?
  2. Do you process GDPR data access requests via email, a website, or telephone? If via a website, what is the URL I should go to?
  3. What personal information do I have to submit for you to verify and process a GDPR data access request?
  4. What information do you provide in response to a GDPR data access request?
To be clear, I am not submitting a data access request at this time. My questions are about your process for when I do submit a request.

Thank you in advance for your answers to these questions. If there is a better contact for processing GDPR requests regarding aussiefrogs.com, I kindly ask that you forward my request to them.

I look forward to your reply without undue delay and at most within one month of this email, as required by Article 12 of GDPR.

Sincerely,

John Smith

Good grief.

As to "you have not identified yourself" I located the owner of this forum, and the address, from public internet available data within 30 seconds. Perhaps Mr Smith who knows so much about GDPR doesn't know much about the net.

Just re-read my initial post & realised I didn't ask anything!

Does/ did anyone else have issues with having to tick the box on the privacy/ rules again?

No, of course not.
Some people are looking for an argument. I can understand you getting over this sort of crap.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to write it in good English with good grammar, and then they choose John Smith as their name!!

Mmmm, in this case I have no problem signing.

However, 40 years ago when as young newly weds, we bought and moved into this place, we applied to have the electricity supply transferred to us.
Back came a whole wad of documents with "sign here" tags all over the place.

I started to read..... they (the regional county council electricity supplier, in the days when it was government owned, cheap and without choice) demanded that I sign all sorts of agreements and waivers, so at any time they could enter my property, cut my fences, remove any vegetation, erect poles and lines etc etc.
I was required to sign that I had seen the plans and had no objection to the proposed work, etc etc.

What work?

I went to the local office to say that I couldn't sign the docs, and was informed that it was "No sign, no electricity!"
It was standard practice, everyone signed. It was so they could maintain and expand the network any time in the future without objection.
But I only have 1 acre with a house and a nice garden, I would object of you cut a fence, removed a tree, and erected a transmission line.
I didn't sign.
A couple of months later another wad of docs arrived in the mail, with "sign here" tags scattered about.
I didn't sign, and 40 years later I still haven't, and I still get electricity.