Shared workshop space for project cars in Perth

Very nice. All power to you for the willingness to open the doors and share/sub-rent the space.

This would have worked perfectly for me about 2 years ago as I was about to get to the serious part of my project, at a house without a garage. So in order to progress the project, we sold the house and bought one with a garage! haha.

Interested to follow how you go, could still be interested in temporary use for smaller jobs.

Very nice. All power to you for the willingness to open the doors and share/sub-rent the space.

This would have worked perfectly for me about 2 years ago as I was about to get to the serious part of my project, at a house without a garage. So in order to progress the project, we sold the house and bought one with a garage! haha.

Interested to follow how you go, could still be interested in temporary use for smaller jobs.
Hi BG5WRC, you sound like a man after my own heart. You have your priorities right...

After talking to a few people, it seems that there is not so much demand for longer term workspace so I have been thinking maybe I could consider options where a few mates or car club members could take a permament bay in the workshop together and split the monthly cost. That way they would have regular access but at a much lower cost. Anybody have thoughts on that? Happy to be creative, my intention is to develop some activity and see where it goes. I just dont want to be offering random people access for small jobs here and there as that is not practical to administer and goes against the spirit of what I am trying to build.

I'd say a lot of aussie car enthusiests have already purchased/rented a house with a usable shed. So you don't have the same number of people after a shared workshop.

We don't yet have the density of living in australia where most houses don't have a garage (though they are desperately building horrible unlivable hell holes with no house block or shed wherever possible over the last decade). There is no reason for this stupidity in a country with the space of Australia. In the town I live in you see all these appalling crappy houses being built on 400square meter blocks ..... all jammed in like sardines in a tin. And the other side of the road is paddocks with cows in them....... Its just insanity. Why not mandate each house should have a 1/4 acre block as a minimum.

seeya,
Shane L.

I'd say a lot of aussie car enthusiests have already purchased/rented a house with a usable shed. So you don't have the same number of people after a shared workshop.

We don't yet have the density of living in australia where most houses don't have a garage (though they are desperately building horrible unlivable hell holes with no house block or shed wherever possible over the last decade). There is no reason for this stupidity in a country with the space of Australia. In the town I live in you see all these appalling crappy houses being built on 400square meter blocks ..... all jammed in like sardines in a tin. And the other side of the road is paddocks with cows in them....... Its just insanity. Why not mandate each house should have a 1/4 acre block as a minimum.

seeya,
Shane L.
Yeah was expecting is the case. I suppose my intention is more of a hub for a community where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Not everybody will have the level of equipment or facilities that could be afforded a larger group not to mention the value of communion at the alter of the workshop lounge. This can also be a catalyst for events or joint projects etc. as well so just putting it out there and see what comes back.

it seems that there is not so much demand for longer term workspace
I think the market for people doing long term projects is pretty small. I'm 4 years in. I also know if it wasn't sitting infront of me each time I go the garage, I'd be further behind than I am now. But I agree with what you are trying to do, if you can find someone who'd benefit from the space (and tools and hoist) it'd be awesome collab space. I'm certainly an amature on my first big build, so for me there would be benefits no doubt.

I do know of a similar set up to what you are talking, shared by a few guys with track cars. mostly for storage and maintenance. But there are also project cars that they work on. So i'm pretty sure you can make it work, it may just take time to find like-minded persons.

I think the market for people doing long term projects is pretty small. I'm 4 years in. I also know if it wasn't sitting infront of me each time I go the garage, I'd be further behind than I am now. But I agree with what you are trying to do, if you can find someone who'd benefit from the space (and tools and hoist) it'd be awesome collab space. I'm certainly an amature on my first big build, so for me there would be benefits no doubt.

I do know of a similar set up to what you are talking, shared by a few guys with track cars. mostly for storage and maintenance. But there are also project cars that they work on. So i'm pretty sure you can make it work, it may just take time to find like-minded persons.
Yeah figured as much. I am sure in time people in need will find me.

Hi all,

New to forum as have moved back to Perth after working for several years in UK. Great car scene in UK and very liberal regs for project builds which allowed you to put practically anything on the road. Looking to get up to mischief here in Perth with some new projects, just working through local regs to see how 'creative' I need to be to do something interesting. Would be good to hear from any other project builders in Perth?

In the UK I outgrew my garage so rented a workshop to house all my goodies which I shared the cost with some other builders which worked well as it provided an economy of scale for some of the more expensive equipment that could be shared and their was always somebody around to lend a hand when needed.

I just secured a workshop in Gnangara, looking to do similar here so let me know if you are interested in any space. Already setup 2 post hoist, MIG/TIG welders, plasma cutter, tube bender, bench drill etc and also a 3D scanner and CNC mill for the more interesting stuff. Will add to this if can build a community around it to support it.

Also keen to hear any other related ideas on how the space might be used to support the local car community so please share your thoughts?

Cheers

Beaker
How far away are you from Essendon, Melbourne, Australia?

I tried the concept of sharing a work space once.
Gave a fairly small list of requirements like keeping the place secure, safe and tidy, pouring used oils into a big tub that I’d empty from time to time. Basic stuff. Mop/degreaser/used fluid containers provided.
The guy was a mature working mechanic so I assumed the concept of clean safe workspace would be understood.
One night, dressed I’m my tuxedo running slightly late for work I went into the shed to grab something, and the prick had left an oil pan in the middle of the main path, full of dirty sump oil, which of course I tripped over, spilling filthy smelly oil all over my shoes and trousers and all over the floor.
Being dark I didn’t imeadiatly realise what had happened, so trod oil all over the place. A pair of my Renault fuego seats were ruined in the spill also.
The next day the guy was sent a rather short text to come and clean up the mess. two days later mess was still there.
Maybe his mother was out of town that week.
Eviction followed promptly, and I never shared my space again.
There were other episodes from other people, but all the of similar flavour. Taking the piss.

I hope you can find people with more respect of your space than I had.