SEV - ALTERNATOR - BAD REGULATOR

James Gelido

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Happy New Year Fellow Froggers!

Have a quick query, been running a VOLVO PENTA (SEV) Alternator. The regulator has seemed to caput. It is now charging at 16 volts (running) and 13 volts idling with on/off engine stuttering under load. I did think this certain type of alternator had an internal regulator (circled in red; attached photos) but I can't find any replacement parts for this specific type online.

I do have a spare SEV VOLVO SERIES 1 ALTERNATOR (photo attached), however, bit of an amateur question, did these have internal regulators? as it seems rather different than my Volvo Penta one, which I believe had an internal.

Last bit, if it does indeed need a regulator, can I use the original Ducellier Peugeot 403 regulators or any 14 volt regulator?

Cheers fellas!

Attachments

• VOLVO PENTA 1.jpg
    VOLVO PENTA 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 99
  • VOLVO PENTA 2.jpg
    VOLVO PENTA 2.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 97
  • SERIES 1 V PENTA.jpg
    SERIES 1 V PENTA.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 98
I know it sounds wrong, however if you do a web search you'll find people have more issues with undercharging of calcium batteries (i.e. the alternator puts out 13.5v but it isn't enough).

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info and hope you've been doing well! :dance:

From what I've read, anything above 15.5V generally indicates a bad regulator. This can also lead to bulbs overdrawing power and in some instances, electrical components over heating/surging. Skeptical about running it with that voltage given the delicate nature of some of the original parts i.e. windscreen wiper motor. On top of that, when my Car has its headlights on and under load, the voltage drops down to 12V and engine starts to shudder on 2nd gear and above (also happens when overcharging).

I'm looking to replace my alternator, as i do have a spare, but just looking to see if that spare, the SERIES 1ALTERNATOR needs an external regulator or has an internal one 🤔

I reckon the best thing to do is get the model numbers off the regulator you have and try and find a replacement
Cheers COL. It ha's an internal regulator from what i can see, not too sure where to find that part number I'm afraid.

My experience says to be careful with too high a charge - my 505 from the day I got it had a habit when night driving of the headlamps suddenly going about +25% brighter, would then stay like this for 1-2 mins before going dim again. This would recur every 15mins or so. Thinking that the "bright" was how it should be all the time I chased around connections looking for corroded contacts etc but nothing made a difference. The car "eat" batteries - none lasted more than about a year. The other thing which really should have been a huge clue {but wasn't to Mr Thicky here o_O} was that the plastic pressure cap of the radiator expansion bottle "dissolved" - yellow bit in the centre was eaten away til it fell off - new one was going the same way 'til I recast it in Araldite. Where's the expansion bottle? right under the "fallout zone" from the battery.
Anyway bought a new regulator on feebay - my alternator's a Bosch but the replacement "Hella" insisted it would fit - bit dubious but it was right enough - just needed soldered connections to the internal leads. Its been running for months now & no recurrence of the "bright lights" - we'll see how long this {relatively new} battery lasts.

For the record the replacement part number was Hella 5DR 004 241-131 but as I say was for a Bosch alternator - but just shows other brands can sometimes be replacements.

My experience says to be careful with too high a charge - my 505 from the day I got it had a habit when night driving of the headlamps suddenly going about +25% brighter, would then stay like this for 1-2 mins before going dim again. This would recur every 15mins or so. Thinking that the "bright" was how it should be all the time I chased around connections looking for corroded contacts etc but nothing made a difference. The car "eat" batteries - none lasted more than about a year. The other thing which really should have been a huge clue {but wasn't to Mr Thicky here o_O} was that the plastic pressure cap of the radiator expansion bottle "dissolved" - yellow bit in the centre was eaten away til it fell off - new one was going the same way 'til I recast it in Araldite. Where's the expansion bottle? right under the "fallout zone" from the battery.
Anyway bought a new regulator on feebay - my alternator's a Bosch but the replacement "Hella" insisted it would fit - bit dubious but it was right enough - just needed soldered connections to the internal leads. Its been running for months now & no recurrence of the "bright lights" - we'll see how long this {relatively new} battery lasts.

For the record the replacement part number was Hella 5DR 004 241-131 but as I say was for a Bosch alternator - but just shows other brands can sometimes be replacements.

A few years ago, I threw away the 504's original alternator in favor of a larger 90 amp one with an internal regulator and never looked back.

1611303452681.png