Service message on dash ???

mmm...CORNERS

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, heres a simple question for you, my odometer display (N5 306 1.8) is now showing a flashing -0 upon start up and the spanner symbol is continuously on, is this just the car asking for service??? It's only been 6,000 klicks since the last one. The cars got 67,000kms now, should I be changing the timing belt with the next service? woops, thats 2 questions!

thanks

not sure whats going on witrh your odometer, but you should be looking to change your timeing belt at around 80-100000 km's

mmm...CORNERS said:
Hi all, heres a simple question for you, my odometer display (N5 306 1.8) is now showing a flashing -0 upon start up and the spanner symbol is continuously on, is this just the car asking for service??? It's only been 6,000 klicks since the last one. The cars got 67,000kms now, should I be changing the timing belt with the next service? woops, thats 2 questions!

thanks
A flashing zero does indicate it is time for a service. If your service indicator was reset by the dealer at the last service then maybe something else is amiss. Maybe it wasn't reset at the last service? Best to get it checked out.

As for the timing belt, these are due for change at 80k or 4 years. This is one part you don't want to fail.

the service mileage can be set for a couple of different mileages

i'd say your dealer has set yours at 6k instead in the normal 10k

it tells you in the handbook how to change it

if you don't have a handbook let me know as i have the complete thing scanned and sitting in my yahoo briefcase which you are free to have access to

kermit said:
A flashing zero does indicate it is time for a service. If your service indicator was reset by the dealer at the last service then maybe something else is amiss. Maybe it wasn't reset at the last service? Best to get it checked out.

As for the timing belt, these are due for change at 80k or 4 years. This is one part you don't want to fail.

cool, i was hoping that a flashing zero didnt mean "engine will now self destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2, ".....

I was waiting until i hit 70,000km's before my next service, but i'll get it looked at earlier

cheers!