Separated at birth Colorale and Koleos?

IWS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I’ve recently purchased a Koleos. I like the styling of it – including the grille.

1593927657574.png

Looking at photos of Colorales made me think - were the designers of the Koleos influenced by 1950’s Renault design?

1593927679410.png

😀

Ian.

Last edited:
Well spotted there. I had the temerity to mention something similar in the original thread about the Colorale Prairie (or whatever it was called), and that to me that early model appeared to be the forerunner of the now ubiquitous SUV. Also looks remarkably similar to the latest Koleos from side-on.

The Colorale did have elements of the early 4CV styling in the frontal treatment. The Prairie is a pick-up version of the Colorale with tray-top and integrated "ute" options. There was also a 2-door version of the Colorale (the Savane I think, from memory) and the Colorale had a three seat-row option. There was a 4WD option too. I reckon it was a far more imaginative range of vehicles than the conventional Koleos, which is hardly a range. Ahead of its time in a way and certainly underpowered. They sold in tens of thousands not millions!

That's not to knock the Koleos. It seems a good vehicle if that large size is what you want. Reliable too.

I suspect the styling coincidence is just that, a coincidence. Don't know for sure though. But there's no marketing advantage in looking backwards unless you are trying to do that and market it quite specifically, as VW did successfully with the Beetle. Fancy making money selling a Golf without a boot!!! People bought them - I've never understood why but that's me I suppose.

Ready to be corrected of course! :)

I've always said Koleos was a modern Colorale but history does repeat itself.
I'm looking forward to getting away from big ugly tanks from the 40's and 50's and onto lightweight nimble cars from the 60's and 70's.