Sensodrive

Oby.

Fellow Frogger
I know you tend to hear about the negatives when discussing topics, and not so much the positives, but what is the story with sensodrive. I believe it's been realeased in Europe for a few years.Do most people have no problems with it, or is it a real minefield. We are considering the Pluriel.

James

Without waving my own flag too much, I was probably one of the first on AF to drive a sensodrive C3 in Australia. I drove one before it was released to sale.

Now, from day one I have thought that it is excellent and achieves its aims perfectly whilst still giving a manual type car. One of the main aims was to meet the stringent EU emission standards. This is best done by combining a computer controlled manual gearbox (manuals are inherently more economical than autos due to reduced power loss) and tying the gearbox control into the engine management. That way the fuel supply can be cut off during gear changes, something which is impossible in a normal manual or auto.

EU emission specs rate troughs and peaks of emissions. Manuals have peak emissions during gearchanges as extensive testing has proven.

Now, some will rave on about how the changes are whacked etc. You cannot jump into a sensodrive car, take it for a drive around the block and be satisfied. You need to take one for a good drive so you can get used to it and it can get used to you - it learns your style.

Go see your nearest dealer, grab the keys and take a sensodrive car for a drive for a couple of hours. You should be impressed.

Now I open the floor to the nay sayers:nownow:

Thanks for the prompt reply UFO. I am hoping it is a good system. I understand it may take getting used to but on the quick testdrive I had it felt good.

I like Senso Drive

:)
Basically, Craig has covered it all in his comments.

I have had my C2 for 10 months now - nearly 20000 km on it - and have found the Senso Drive to be pretty good.

In 99% of changes, up or down, it changes smoothly and quickly - and the other 1% it is because I usually am not paying attention to how I am shifting, so that is my fault - not the transmission's.

I very occasionally experience it going into Snow mode automatically - but that will probably be cured when I have it serviced, and the new software is downloaded into the car.

The advice given by Craig is very sound - take the car away for a couple of hours or more - because if you have only a short 10 minute or so drive, you will not become accustomed to it - when I brought my C2, the dealer INSISTED that I take the car away for the morning - and it took me a good hour to properly work out the SensoDrive.

I rather suspect that you will enjoy driving the Pluriel!! :approve:
Cheers

Senso

I have only ever driven an auto prior to owning a C2 and I find it so much more fun, even when left in auto mode. Even having never driven a manual before, I easily got used to driving in manual mode as well.
My only serious concern with the auto mode how the car reacts at intersections, particularly if you haven't come to a complete stop, when it can sometimes unnecessarily changes down resulting in a heart-stopping moment when you stand still, but this shouldn't be a problem if you drive mostly in maual or are aware of it.
I've done close to 20,000 Km, mostly driving in peak-hour traffic and the fuel economy is unbelievable...6.8l/100Km (or so the trip computer tells me). This is better than a Getz! Although I do use 98 RON premium.
I saw a silver Pluriel on the orad the other day which I thought looked great!

Thanks for all your replies. I was only hearing about problems associated with sensodrive. I was hoping these were only a minority.

Hi,

I've had my C2 with SensoDrive since July last year and find it very good. It definitely does take a litte time to get used to it. If you are into traffic light drag racing it is probably not the box for you. The recent software upgrades have resolved the earlier problems, particularly around slow changes.

One thing I particularly like about it is the way, in Auto mode, it down shifts as you brake or slow for a corner, so that you are in the right gear to accelerate out. Definitely more fun than an auto slush box, but great for driving in traffic.

cheers,