Seems to be limited options for replacing 508 GT Stereo Head Unit

adbell

Fellow Frogger
Hi

I have a 2013 508GT which has been great and expect to hold on to for some years.

My only niggle has been the RT6 stereo. I have the non-touch JBL unit which sounds great, but the device itself is not so stellar.

Sometimes the bluetooth works - other times not. It takes quite a while to boot up. There's no reversing camera but it has front and rear sensors. So if the car has been parked all day, the sensors won't work when you most want to use them as the RT6 is still booting up.

The latest crime is that the USB no longer works so it's bluetooth only. Bluetooth is fine when it works although it won't share track information like a lot of modern units.

I know these are small issues....

When I look at the aftermarket double-din units, I expect they are quite a bit better and they are less than half the price of replacing a broken RT6 unit.
e.g https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax5000

Unfortunately - it seems to be not so simple. Other control systems (errors codes etc rely on the screen) . Also there's that second screen that appears between the Odo and Tacho which appears to be linked.

The current trend of running everything through the one unit means that we can no longer whip out the stereo and upgrade like it was possible a few years ago.

Bit of a shame I reckon.

Cheers adbell

If you got that Sony one you would need a facia and a can bus adapter these android units will work with steering wheel controls and show warnings reverse park etc also can have CarPlay android auto etc heaps of videos on utube obviously you would need a jbl compliant one

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Hi

I looked into the ebay Android units but I gather won't work with JBL versions of the stereo.
Also, enquired about the Sony units and no 508 fascia parts or canbus adapters available.
www.stingeraustralia.com.au lists adapters for most cars, but 508 isn't one of them.

Regards adbell