Seeking Tyre Change Tools for 1963 ID19

Geoffrey ID19

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
I am seeking advice on the correct tyre change tools for my '63 ID19, and to purchase items missing if possible. I have the original Jacking Point Stand for my car, see photo:
Jacking Point Stand.jpg

I think I also need a tool to loosen the centre-lock wheel nuts on my car, and a combined tool to remove the hub caps and act as a locking pin for the adjustable height Jacking Point Stand. Here is a photo of a full set of wheel change tools for later DS with 5-lug wheels.
Jack etc.JPG

Note that my ID19 is a Decapotable, so it wears full-width DS type hubcaps (so the special tool to remove them would be handy) and has non-removable rear guards. I wonder also if the original kit for my car would have included a hand crank? Note that my car is a UK delivered RHD model, but was coachbuilt in France by Chapron. It has Slough type features including the UK-spec chrome number plate surround and full "DW spec" engine, power steering and high pressure brakes. Here is a close-up photo of the tool for removing the hub caps and acting as a pin in the Stand.
Jack Pin.JPG

If anyone can assist me with more detailed information on the tyre change tools appropriate for a centre-lock wheel car, and/or be prepared to sell me same, that would be most appreciated.

I am seeking advice on the correct tyre change tools for my '63 ID19, and to purchase items missing if possible. I have the original Jacking Point Stand for my car, see photo:
View attachment 131126

I think I also need a tool to loosen the centre-lock wheel nuts on my car, and a combined tool to remove the hub caps and act as a locking pin for the adjustable height Jacking Point Stand. Here is a photo of a full set of wheel change tools for later DS with 5-lug wheels.
View attachment 131127
Note that my ID19 is a Decapotable, so it wears full-width DS type hubcaps (so the special tool to remove them would be handy) and has non-removable rear guards. I wonder also if the original kit for my car would have included a hand crank? Note that my car is a UK delivered RHD model, but was coachbuilt in France by Chapron. It has Slough type features including the UK-spec chrome number plate surround and full "DW spec" engine, power steering and high pressure brakes. Here is a close-up photo of the tool for removing the hub caps and acting as a pin in the Stand.
View attachment 131128
If anyone can assist me with more detailed information on the tyre change tools appropriate for a centre-lock wheel car, and/or be prepared to sell me same, that would be most appreciated.
For centre nut wheels the long lever has a 14 mm hex on one end angled so it clears the body work

I found the one on my car was a bit rounded so I purchased a 14 mm allen key and used a thick walled pipe for wheel changes.

Might be able to help with a crank handle and the jack peg / hubcap removal tool. Here a photo of what I have... I am sure the shorter peg on the right is the ‘oldest’ and the other three are off later models, but take your pick...

AC835AB5-2E3E-4AA8-911B-D64D630E3488.jpeg

i don’t have the wheel nut bar for an early model (the one with the hex bar on an angle as described above by SuppleC).

Sven

Last edited:
There were at least 3 types of wheel brace/ crank extension bars for single bolt cars.
Some have a short tube and long prong, some have long tube and short prong, then there were 2 styles of the forged end that included the 14mm wheel tool.
I believe that '63 ID19 had long tube and short prong.
I'll try to put up a pic in the morning, if the rain stops.

Might be able to help with a crank handle and the jack peg / hubcap removal tool. Here a photo of what I have... I am sure the shorter peg on the right is the ‘oldest’ and the other three are off later models, but take your pick...

View attachment 131135

i don’t have the wheel nut bar for an early model (the one with the hex bar on an angle as described above by SuppleC).

Sven
Sven, thanks for the photo and offer to help. I'm pretty sure the short jack peg / hubcap removal tool on the right is the one I want. Its open tube end should fit over the central wheel attachment bolt of the spare wheel as it sits inside the spare tyre in the engine bay. It provides a mount for the stand. Like in this photo. I will send you a PM to follow up,..
63 ds19 jack engine cabrilet.JPG

There were at least 3 types of wheel brace/ crank extension bars for single bolt cars.
Some have a short tube and long prong, some have long tube and short prong, then there were 2 styles of the forged end that included the 14mm wheel tool.
Thanks for the reply, I'd really appreciate it if you could identify the rigfht part for my car,...

So I take it that the wheel brace also acts as a starter crank shaft? And you fit the crank handle on the end somehow?

So I take it that the wheel brace also acts as a starter crank shaft? And you fit the crank handle on the end somehow?
Correct.
The starting engagement on the gearbox has a 14mm hex socket.
The crank extender has 14mm male hex on both ends as well as the one at the side for tightening/ loosening the wheels.
All the holes in the front of the car should line up to allow you to push the crank extender in..... straight into the gearbox socket.

Correct.
The starting engagement on the gearbox has a 14mm hex socket.
The crank extender has 14mm male hex on both ends as well as the one at the side for tightening/ loosening the wheels.
All the holes in the front of the car should line up to allow you to push the crank extender in..... straight into the gearbox socket.
Thanks for the clarification. I now have access to the correct stand, crank handle, and stand-pin tools for my car, but am still seeking a 14mm hex-ended crank extension for a '63 ID19 - with "long tube and short prong". Does anyone have one they would be prepared to part with?

I found this on eBay in the USA, says its for a DS19 / ID19. I'm not sure if they will ship to Australia, or cost even if they are willing. Does anyone know if it looks correct for a 63'?
Crank.JPG

Well yes it looks correct for ID19 of that era.
It does not look right for early DS19, but may be for mid '60s.
It appears to have significant corrosion.

Another thing to check before purchase is if the 14mm hex at the side that is used to loosen the tight wheel bolt, is rounded off. Frequently I see them rounded after lots of use, which makes them unusable for this purpose.

I have some here in better condition.
But might be asking an appropriate price because they are rare in good condition.

I'll have a look, and report.

Geoffrey,

here a photo of mine. 630mm long, the short left hand end is about 180mm, the fat part 380mm

50B8FE82-7D97-4606-97ED-40474DB5BB0A.jpeg

hope that helps. Mine is/should be for a 1964, so yours should be the same I would think.

Geoffrey,

here a photo of mine. 630mm long, the short left hand end is about 180mm, the fat part 380mm

View attachment 131174

hope that helps. Mine is/should be for a 1964, so yours should be the same I would think.
That is the short tube/ long prong version which (I believe) is correct for 1st front cars. The 2nd front is (I believe) long tube/ short prong.

just put an early id/ds tool kit onto ebay before i saw this thread... see if it is any use
This toolkit is very interesting... Accoding to "original Citroen DS" by Reynolds and de Lange this type of kit was correct for Slough built RHD cars. They show a similar one in a '66 I think. Do you know what year car this one came from?

Do you by any chance also have a crank extension / wheel undo lever for the same car?...

Last edited:
Ok..... after a bit of parts book research and rummaging in my various piles of stuff.....
I have found part numbers for, and samples of the 5 types of crank handle extensions supplied for pre '66 (single wheel bolt) D series cars.

I attach here the parts book pages that refer to the types.
20210314_145001.jpg

20210314_145118.jpg