Scenic tranny questions

RINGER

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Early 2000's 2 litre 133000km transmission changes are allsmooth with no jerks or slippage.
When cold likes to stay in low gear & not change up. Giving RPM does nothing to alter this. Eventually changes it's mind & changes up through all other ranges.
This car is perfect otherwise & I'd like to rectify this annoying issue. Anyone solved similar problems & suggestions appreciated. Thanks John

one of my sons had one of these ,about this vintage ,we found that a couple of oil changes made a big difference ,i think its an AL4 trans should be some posts on here about them ,

I've watched a few videos but they
seem to indicate the transmission is going in to limp mode & that it certainly isn't doing. Just slow changing up when cold.
I also read some time ago that a better grade (more) expensive modern oil helps immensely?
Thanks for input. JG.

seem to indicate the transmission is going in to limp mode & that it certainly isn't doing. Just slow changing up when cold.
I also read some time ago that a better grade (more) expensive modern oil helps immensely?
Thanks for input. JG.
Limp mode is stuck in third gear. If it’s changing gears, it’s not in limp.

Thanks for input. JG.
Penrite ATF FS is the shit for these things.

There is a pretty simple set of steps with these things when they play up. Change the fluid. Change the solenoids. Change the transmission...

That last step is taking the piss a bit, but if the first two steps dont work you're pulling the trans out and apart.

my guess is that the solenoid isnt operating till the oil is up to temperature ,either fouled up or oil is too thick, draining a little oil out will let you know ,just what condition it is in ,the first change i did on my wifes 307 the oil was like the tweed river in flood ,and defiantly smelt off ,not burnt, just stale ,different box [aisin warner ] but also supposed to be sealed for life ,as oil doesn't drain from torque converter ,it takes a few changes to flush it completely ,my method is to measure what you have drained out and replace same amount with new ,i only bother going through the procedure, with the level plug ,after the last change ,my policy now is to give it one drop and refill every year about rego time .the oil always runs clear ,[you can see light through it ] when i drain it ,cheap maintenance ,she dousnt do a lot of ks now ,gets used a couple times a week, only ,

my guess is that the solenoid isnt operating till the oil is up to temperature ,either fouled up or oil is too thick, draining a little oil out will let you know ,just what condition it is in ,the first change i did on my wifes 307 the oil was like the tweed river in flood ,and defiantly smelt off ,not burnt, just stale ,different box [aisin warner ] but also supposed to be sealed for life ,as oil doesn't drain from torque converter ,it takes a few changes to flush it completely ,my method is to measure what you have drained out and replace same amount with new ,i only bother going through the procedure, with the level plug ,after the last change ,my policy now is to give it one drop and refill every year about rego time .the oil always runs clear ,[you can see light through it ] when i drain it ,cheap maintenance ,she dousnt do a lot of ks now ,gets used a couple times a week, only ,
Holy punctuation Batman!

There is a pretty simple set of steps with these things when they play up. Change the fluid. Change the solenoids. Change the transmission...

That last step is taking the piss a bit, but if the first two steps dont work you're pulling the trans out and apart.
Thanks, as a qualified tradesman of old we often have paying customers & why we don't guess but try to pinpoint what is the least expensive route to Suck Cess & why I asked the best group of helpers around. This tanny seems as though not much needs doing & all advice is logical (not emotional) thanks again👍

Well, we can always send you the rebuild manuals etc and you can learn your way around them. But short version is you can change fluid and you can change solenoids. If there is anything else wrong with it you need to pull it and pull it apart.

FI of those interested & be aware of:
Penrite ATF FS Full synthetic 4l was available 1 Auto One for $45.95
Supercheap, where I'm a trade customer, was $64.99 minus trade discount.
They price matched the $45.95, no hassle as always.
REPCO were $65 minus trade discount.

I'm not having much luck trying to find a transmission oil filter in OZ? any suggestions.
& I don't intend to be doing this transmission again so 20 l is a bit overboard but thanks for the suggestion.

This scenic Engine is a F4R 747 2 litre perhaps from a later model as engine number doesn't match original papers.
Not sure if 1.6 litre engine has same transmission & is compatible.

Seems 2 filters on EBay & the gasket/seal both look different in pics. Don't want to get wrong one. JG.
scenic gasket1.jpgscenic gasket2.jpg

Post a photo if you like, but I'm 95% sure we never got the early single cam engine and AD4, so it will be the second.

But don't bother buying the filter - its inside the case and can only be accessed by splitting the bell housing from the trans ;) Its not a service item.

Like I said - your options are fluid change, solenoid change, remove/dismantle.

Oh, I tell a lie - you can change and adjust the multifunction switch.

OK & thanks. That aligns with the workshop manual run down. It was just that I never like changing oils without a new filter & didn't want to get stuck with a vehicle down & wrong parts. JG.

OK & thanks. That aligns with the workshop manual run down. It was just that I never like changing oils without a new filter & didn't want to get stuck with a vehicle down & wrong parts. JG.
Filters on transmissions don’t really need to be changed. It’s not an engine with combustion products to filter out.

The filter in a trans is basically jsut a strainer. Anything big enough for it to catch means you’ve got bigger problems, and the small stuff is caught on the magnets.