Saying goodbye to my Citroen ownership.

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi, all.
My Citroen ownership come to an end(for now) after more than 10 years with my family. 1st with the last gen C4 grand picasso. had countless issues with the 1.6 Turbo petrol prince engine. Then got the 2015 diesel model. which was trouble free for 6yrs. had to change the adblue tank twice in last few years. with loads of engine faults---getting a bit sick at the end.
I will miss all the unsual things that no one else does except Citroen. But I'm already happy with the Kia Sorento. Hopefully Citroen will improve their quality in the future.

Hi, all.
My Citroen ownership come to an end(for now) after more than 10 years with my family. 1st with the last gen C4 grand picasso. had countless issues with the 1.6 Turbo petrol prince engine. Then got the 2015 diesel model. which was trouble free for 6yrs. had to change the adblue tank twice in last few years. with loads of engine faults---getting a bit sick at the end.
I will miss all the unsual things that no one else does except Citroen. But I'm already happy with the Kia Sorento. Hopefully Citroen will improve their quality in the future.
We have a 2017 Citroen Grand Picasso with the 1.6 litre petrol turbo engine and about 90,000km on the clock
So far the engine has been superb, Quite powerful and VERY economical
If I had to find any fault with this car I'd say the suspension is a little fragile on our shit roads in the Southern Highlands - especially after the potholes that formed from our recent wet years. We replaced the front struts and rear shockers when a few noises got annoying>
The car is very comfortable especially on long trips, fits 7 so its a grandchildren bus and the vision is brilliant.

I share your disillusionment and find it hard to get excited with any of the current stelantis offer.
For me it was the decision that my 2020 Peugeot 508 was my last new Peugeot
Like many stelantis offerings, the 508 was over styled and under designed - purely my opinion of course.
I sold my 2020 508GT and kept my 2015 508GT as I think it a much better car overall.
Stelantis are on a quest with their desire to premiumise Peugeot, which in their view seems to mean premium price rather than true premium product and service.
With Citroen their premium DS offer embarrassingly misses the mark of true premium (except price). I would go so far as to say DS would make a great marketing 101 case study on how not to go about trying to do it!
I still have 2-Peugeots that I love and my DS Citroen is a reminder of a once great innovative car maker.
My daily now is a KIA… I’m no KIA fanboy, but it’s not pretentious and delivers well on its promise at a well matched price point. To me that’s fitness for purpose.

I share your disillusionment and find it hard to get excited with any of the current stelantis offer.
Like many stelantis offerings, the 508 was over styled and under designed - purely my opinion of course.
I sold my 2020 508GT and kept my 2015 508GT as I think it a much better car overall.
Stelantis are on a quest with their desire to premiumise Peugeot, which in their view seems to mean premium price rather than true premium product and service.
With Citroen their premium DS offer embarrassingly misses the mark of true premium (except price). I would go so far as to say DS would make a great marketing 101 case study on how not to go about trying to do it!
I still have 2-Peugeots that I love and my DS Citroen is a reminder of a once great innovative car maker.
My daily now is a KIA… I’m no KIA fanboy, but it’s not pretentious and delivers well on its promise at a well matched price point. To me that’s fitness for purpose.
Overstyled and under designed .. that describes the entire industry offerings. Designers seem to have forgotten the human interface and we are now expected to communicate with the dynamic moving machine via non tactile touch screens that all seem to be unprotected or shielded from ambient light ( Australia has plenty of ambient strong sunlight ) or dashboards that are equally overstyled with chrome trim or reflective surfaces. Remember when so called journalists complained about the unmarked dashboard knobs ... now we are at the other extreme.

ike many stelantis offerings, the 508 was over styled and under designed - purely my opinion of course.
No, I agree. I want to love the 508, in both body styles but ultimately they miss the mark. Overstyled is correct and the overall quality isn't there. To be fair though, I don't see many other manufacturers doing it well either.

There's certainly nothing currently in the Renault, Peugeot, Citroen portfolio that interests me.

I would have an alpine A110 though...

Oddly enough, you seem to want a car that does what you want and does it reliably and affordably. I reluctantly wouldn't go near the Stellantis product now. Our 306 was fabulous. Our Renault Scenics are fabulous too - nothing French on offer comes close. Woe.

I drive a 2008 407 sw hdi and my wife a 2009 308 hdi. Both are great diesels that I can hardly fault.
My son has a 508 sw with the prince engine and my daughter a Citroen DS4 also with the prince engine. It beats me why they are not classed as 2 strokes judging by the amount of engine oil they consume. None of the other many Peugeots I have owned have consumed engine oil even at very high mileages.
My wife and I are thinking of replacements for the 407 and 308. Recently I rented a 508 GT in Cairns. I liked the styling but what was under the bonnet disappointed, in fact the engines that Peugeot are sending to Australia will steer me to other makes when we have to replace the 407 and 308.
Peugeot Australia's failure to address the oil consumption is disgraceful. Total oil is also difficultt to find and expensive

My now getting on EP6DT consumes BA oil between changes. I never have to top up. I'd check what passes your turbo bearing.

There are alternatives to Total that satisfy HDI specs if you find it hard to get. The main thing to look for is C2 or C3 spec (low ash standards) Penrite and Shell have these available. The Penrite containers have the grade in huge letters on the label. Total distributors will supply cartons of 3 x 5L.

The latest tech advice from Peugeot is to use C2 in the EP turbo engine. This is to minimise ash build up on the inlet ports and valves, a problem with all makes of modern direct injection engines.

There are still very good HDI C5s and 508s to be had, but they are now second hand. The latest 2.0 HDI engine, the DW10F, uses Adblue to suit current EU and proposed Australian rules. It's quite a performer.

By dropping the diesels Inchcape has alienated most of the stuck-on PSA fans.