Salmson bits

johnd

Tadpole
Hi. I noticed a posting by johnw back in March about a Salmson and he mentioned a guy on the South Coast of NSW who was the Salmson expert. About 40 years ago I owned a Salmson GP (not the San Sebastian) Whilst at the restorers, it and 12 other cars were destroyed in a fire. The only bits I had a home at the time were the alloy steering wheel, speedo and the original headlights. I would love to pass them on to someone who could use them. I can be contacted at jwdixon@westnet.com.au. At the time the only other owner I knew lived in WA although I heard about a wing commander in the ACT who had the San Sebastian (supercharged) model. Mine was an 1927 1100cc twin overhead cam two seater (one behind the other) I have a photo I can send if any body is interested. Cheers.

Ray Bell said:
What a loss!

Why not post the picture here?

And the guy on the south coast is Steen Pederson IIRC.

It is amazing how time flies, some 40 years ago I drove a GP Salmson for the owner in Sydney who was Cyril Nichols. The car was a single seater with the 1100cc engine and a four speed gearbox.
Cyril would not sell the car and it was detained for a long time after the death of Cyril.
I believe Steen has that car today, although I have never met him.

Yes, Cyril entrusted it to Peter and Mary Hitchin for Mary to drive... it was sold to Steen maybe five or six years ago.

He's a very nice guy... you should make a point of catching up with him.

Ray Bell said:
Yes, Cyril entrusted it to Peter and Mary Hitchin for Mary to drive... it was sold to Steen maybe five or six years ago.

He's a very nice guy... you should make a point of catching up with him.

I concur, a very nice bloke & doe's he drive it !! Pretty to watch it on the limit
especially with the Dummy Mechanic alongside him & with those narrow wire wheels. A really lovely old car!

routley43 said:
I concur, a very nice bloke & doe's he drive it !! Pretty to watch it on the limit
especially with the Dummy Mechanic alongside him & with those narrow wire wheels. A really lovely old car!

I was surprised to see the name Cyril Nichol mentioned. I had forgotten that I bought my Salmson from Cyril. I think he and his brother owned the ice works at Ryde. It would have been about 40 years ago. My car did not have an original body but I have attached a photo of a Salmson in Perth I went to see to work out how to build a new body. I had no idea he had more than one Salmson although he had quite a few cars. Alvis comes to mind?

The head lights I mentioned in my first posting now (or soon will) grace an Amilcar in MELBOURNE.

Attachments

• Salmson1.jpg
    Salmson1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 406
Salmson Bits

Hi John,

I realise that this is a long shot, hoping to find you about 6 years after your post on the AusssieFrogs website.!

I have recently bought what is descibed as a 1927 Salmson Grand Prix but I am missing a few things like Head Lights ( too late !), Instruments and Switches, Shockabsorbers etc. so I would be very interested if you still have any bits left.

Can you please let me know what you have and what price.

Appreciate any assistance/advice.

Garnet Luckins

garnetl@frontline.com.au