S3 205 GTI engine conversion

Does the $4K for Graham include gearbox as well? If so, I'd buy it if I were you, before I do.

No, gearbox is $4000 by itself and I don't want to sell it. Engine a little less than that and less than half cost price to me. I'll get it running tomorrow, I've been working on my ex works Cortina this week, big rally car display on Saturday.

No, gearbox is $4000 by itself and I don't want to sell it. Engine a little less than that and less than half cost price to me. I'll get it running tomorrow, I've been working on my ex works Cortina this week, big rally car display on Saturday.

Any chance to get the engine going yet Graham?

At the risk of repeating an IG post, I attach some progress shots. IMG_0081.jpgIMG_0080.jpg

There was mention by Peter and Cam of 185lb springs the springs on my coilovers are rated at [FONT=&#10]60 N/mm spring rate and 170mm length. How do you convert to N/mm. I am assuming the 185 lb referred to in the in the forum is short for 185 lb force/ inch. I found a chart on the ANU web site with a conversion table but it doesn't seem to help I must be missing something. I tried to copy the link not sure if will work on the forum.
[FONT="Calibri",sans-serif]https://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/coil_spring_rate_conversio.htm

Comments appreciated

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

1N = 0.225lb
1mm = 0.0394in

0.225/0.0394 = 5.71

60 x 5.71 = 342lb/in

Or did I get something wrong?

Yes that’s what I got using the table on the link which seems very high. Do you think that the internal diameter of the spring have any bearing on it?

What's the spring ID, wire diameter and number of coils?

Whats stamped on the spring other than 60nm? Is there a brand on it and a model number?

Yes 185 with 21mm rear bars and 21-24mm arb is what peugeot ran on the 205 tarmac cars in gti form (not t16).

Its about as stiff as you want to go for a road car thats predictable etc. 342lbs on the road would be an absolute mare to be honest.

I think the bilsteins that ran on 205s were about 8-10 inch coil springs. Alot has moved on from theb80s though especially in damper tech.

Internal Diameter is 60mm, the diameter of the wire is 10mm and there are 6 turns on the coil.

Using the first link I get 377lb F/ in not sure what material to select but it didn't seem to make much difference. The calculation I made are a long way off the 185lb F/ in that people have used successfully in this thread.

I have KW Var 2 coilovers the 60N/mm was provided by technical person in Germany when I provided the s/n of the coilovers I have fitted.