S16 Resto Just finished

cam85

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Evening all.

Thought I would share my recent covid project.

I acquired an S16 earlier this year. Although Ive mostly had 205s, an S16 was always on the list to own. I prefer the look to the later N5 cars. It presented really well in photos and the clincher was the immaculate interior with full leather.

I bought the car with 200ks on the clock and an overheating issue relating to a headgasket.

Upon taking the engine out and then stripping it down it was not clear that it had headgasket issues but a tell tale was how tight, or loose the head bolts were. Perhaps it had the gasket replaced and not torqued down correctly. We will never really know.

With the guidance of PeterT we measured it all up and decided it would need over sized pistons as the bore ware was such. We had the rotating assembly balanced, the blocked decked, stage 1 inlet and 0.5 exhaust cams fitted and went about getting the work sorted. Initially we were going to fit an 88mm crank but as it happened we stuck with the 86mm crank as there were questions over the ability of the stock ecu to cope with all the changes.

Its now fitted up with 1.9lt injectors and except for the noisy power steer pump (my fault) and the lack of the vacuum amplifier for the avac system it runs well.
The car has clearly been cared for during its life. The internals of the engine were in very good condition all things considered and the mechanicals and body are very good.
We fitted a Quaife lsd and I managed to get some yellow carello headlights that make it that but more 90s for me.

A few pics. Hopefully next week once I change the oil after a few more kays I can really open it up.
E4FE94E0-35FE-4A42-9F32-FD53954EF538.jpeg
9A48A68B-CBC6-4E74-925B-66509F2EBCE1.jpeg
04FBF93A-CD6E-442E-B4F0-3BE6FD81DA1F.jpeg
788BAA80-D754-4327-B1B0-DA4FC409138F.jpeg
DE894D58-F666-4196-BF6B-68C3207D8620.jpeg
D4F4E78B-0229-4DBD-B47D-8E3BD1B269B3.jpeg
41EAB3EF-7D09-4476-A439-C2B0B8B01F7F.jpeg

That is a nice looking vehicle, well done :) I bet you’re keen for the post run in stage!

Keen as mustard! Its bogging down a little as it cant produce the vacuum required to hold the butterflies on the long inlet. I broke the vacuum amplifier (amazing how brittle the plastics get in the engine bay) so once thats in, oil change and away we go!

Nice work Cam, I think you will find once the vacuum pods are working it will be more than a little bit of difference! You should get a heap more low end torque. Did you break the plastic bit that connects to the pump on the end of the camshaft? I assume if that's broken your brakes are a bit on the heavy side too!

Other things to check, make sure the vacuum line from the solenoid to the takeoff point isn't collapsing. Once it sucks flat even when the solenoid opens the vacuum won't get through to the pods. Also check the pods don't have a leak. You should be easily able to get them to activate just sucking om the hose.

Tony.

Thanks Tony.
The pods move instantly off idle showing they are working (i did the suck trick also! ) but because of the current bodge setup its not working under load(more than 15%ish throttle). Once I get that plastic amplifier it will be sweet. Ive replaced all the vacuum hosing so there should be no issues there fingers crossed. Theres a few things thats still need tidying in the bay but all in all its working as it should. AC needs a regas and the speakers are all shot inside!

Looks great mate! More love for the S16’s, can’t wait to get mine up and running. Would love to know how it goes once you’ve got the vac pods sorted. I would give you mine but they were broken when I got the car, hence my GTi 6 manifold swap. I’ve got all the other standard manifold bits of you need any of it though.

Thanks Easty. Should be right for most of it for now but thanks for the offer. Once I find and fit the vacuum amplifier all will be well.
Cam

Yea saw that and posted it up on the pug forum.

Definitely keen to compare results. My acav system is playing up as I desperately need the vacuum amplifier. Still cant find one so don't break yours! Its feels like it will run fin once sorted, its a little upset off idle but it nay have to do with my issues.

Yeah those are brittle little things. I'm on my second one of those so fingers crossed it doesn't go...

I've learned to be so gentle with everything... or get really handy with macgyvering my way out of problems - bit of araldite here, silicone tape there, leather bits here, few garden brass fittings in there too.

How far off is the one from the EU?

Yea saw that and posted it up on the pug forum.

Definitely keen to compare results. My acav system is playing up as I desperately need the vacuum amplifier. Still cant find one so don't break yours! Its feels like it will run fin once sorted, its a little upset off idle but it nay have to do with my issues.

Thanks Gerry.

Vac amp should be here this week. The 306 and 405 have different systems. 306 uses the vac amp and the 405 uses a vacuum accumulator. Im rigging it up today to run straight off the vac pump.

I used to have the exact same blue s16 model around 3-4 years ago until someone rear ended me and insurance took the car off me. With the insurance payout I upgraded to the GTI6 which (due to slowly becoming a tapper) recently just blew its head gasket and sump. If anyone here knows anyone wanting a project GTI6 to bring back from the dead for posterity and track days please be in touch - Peter 0410720782 car with seized engine is currently in Sydney

Attachments

• 686A86FB-8BC4-4FEB-A6C0-794C28261F38.jpeg
    686A86FB-8BC4-4FEB-A6C0-794C28261F38.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 165