S16 lives...

LeStig

Fellow Frogger
Bought a 95 s16 in early January from a fellow frogger... Grey in color and whilst a little high in mileage very good cosmetically and interior wise... Mechanically it was a different story. It came with a pink slip from Stevie Wonders mechanical services... Struts completely gone, cv boot split, engine mounts gone ...
So we started ... Bilstiens from pedders front and rear. Surprisingly cheap - $480 for all 4 corners. Rebuilt drive shafts and all new suspension bits from another frogger with a heap of parts from a damaged s16. Cam belt and tensioners, aux belt, alloy radiator, water pump, vac diaphragms, 2 coil packs and a full fluid and filter service had it running like a charm.. 17 inch lenso wheels and a set of wheel studs instead of the std screw in wheel nuts has it looking the part as well. Inside we have an iPod friendly head unit with kicker 6.5 inch splits and a bazooka bass tube for lower frequencies.... An omp deep dish wheel replaces the standard wheel - I'm 6.2 and my knees wouldn't fit under the standard wheel and to be honest it was a horrible driving position... Now it's nearly perfect. To finish her off with a distinctive French flavor there's a pair of super oscars with 55watt hid globes... Yes complete with yellow lenses and with the blue globes putting out a pale green interpretation of the sun.....Not to everyone's taste but when they light up you can see for miles...
So it's nearly finished !!! A new pair of fans to replace one that has a mind of its own should see it mechanically perfect and ready for a few more years of service...
Next on the list are larger brakes for the front with braided lines all round and a window tint. I have resisted lowering it as its settled a little I'm sure. Currently waiting on a k & n filter for the standard air cleaner and getting rid of the crappy cold air system that k & n sell .. Too noisy and in my opinion very poor quality - it has split around the base of the pod first time it was fitted..
I'll get a couple of pictures up and hopefully get to bring it along to a club outing in the near future....

Cheers !!

iPHONE033.png

iPHONE031.jpg

iPHONE032.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see someone taking an interest, instead of wrecking a good car. Well done!

Well done LeStig.
Your 306 looks great.
Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Welcome to the S16 club :) If you have seen my gearbox removal thread you might want to consider a new quaife LSD as an upgrade :wink2:

Can you post how you mounted those driving lights? I've got a pair of Hella 140's I used to have on my morris and I've really missed having those for night driving. The standard high beam in the S16 I've found a bit lacking!

Tony.

Lights were easy... As the front bar is a metal free zone I just bought the standard number plate alloy bracket from Repco and bolted it through the number plate and the reinforcement behind that. The top of the lights are attached with a stainless jubilee clip flattened out - for stability and to be able to adjust them individually ... With the hid conversion they are earthed directly to the battery and power is supplied through a relay to the individual ballasts... If you have to remove the front bar ( to replace cooling fans etc ) the lights stay on the bar and you just unplug 4 wires....

Lights were easy... The top of the lights are attached with a stainless jubilee clip flattened out - for stability and to be able to adjust them individually ... .

I've used small turnbuckles for stability/adjustment of spotlights.
One leg attached to top of light the other attached to bodyword.
The conventionally threaded leg usually has the hook and it can be replaced by a similarly threaded bolt and nut.
A piece of plastic tubing over the threads inside the buckle lock the setting in place.
Solid and very easy to adjust by hand.

Paul.

"A straight is merely the distance between two corners."

ahhh tricky!! I never thought of using the number plate mounting!! I might have to check that out :)

Tony.

S16 is still going strong and getting better.... Lots of time and some money have made it comfortably reliable and living up to the reputation that s16s have developed over the years as a fun and quick motor vehicle.... Thanks to Owen ( a fellow frogger ) and a host of new parts that he had surplus we now have a car with an updated service history. There's no plans to do anything with car other than drive it and keep it running in as good as mechanical condition as possible .
I had a fuel consumption issue but a change of lambda sensor and thermostat has the car running at 90 c and getting 650km plus per tank.
Recent work includrd OMP strut braces (upper and lower) Brembo black max discs and EBC Yellowstuff pads for the front whilst the rear brakes just got the Yellowstuff pads. Braided hoses finished the brakes off along with a fluid change..... Coming down the clyde mountain poses no problem any more !!
The rear beam got all new mounts along with Bilsteins and I'm still playing around with wheels... Currently there's 17 inch 206GTI challengers fitted.
I tried a different rear exhaust but decided to go back to the original muffler... I must be getting old....
photo.jpg

Last edited:
Just enjoying the odd trip in the car. I have some brembo 406 calipers to go onto it shortly. I'm waiting for some tarox discs to arrive and then they will be fitted. It's been ultra reliable and is a really fun car to drive.
i have a black S16 which will be on the road by Christmas and my son has claimed this. Ill post pictures of the "twins" as I get the work required finished. Cheers

Took the S16 to Canberra .... Elton John concert .... Typically spirited drive up the mountain from the bay. Parked the car and went to get something to eat before the show...came back after 40 minutes to find the windows all fogged up ...on the inside ..... Both footwells soggy and the sweet smell of antifreeze in the air .... One large bottle of bars leaks and filled up with water saw us arrive home after the show with the temp sitting just below 90 as it always has... So now the fun begins ... Dash out and new matrix ... Will take lots of photos....

I can give you a great tip for a mod. Both me and my daughter have S16 engine. My daughter have an -95 S16. Mine are a -99 306xr Estate S16/gti-6, All suspension and breaks are from GTI-6, the engine are from a ZX 16V with mods. It haas the GTI-6 inlet manifold and a light flywheel3.8kg from LYNX engineering i england. This was on the rollingroad and put out about 170hp (flywheel) And it pulle away from the GTI-6. We have 6 GTI-6/ZX so its easy to compare. I this an easy way to get a small gain on hp in the S16 engine..

Hope it was of some value for you :)