S16 Brake Upgrade

P

Phasis

After seeing JR's nice set of disks, I am thinking about doing a brake upgrade.

What I have in mind is to keep the existing calipers on the front and back, but getting new cross drilled/slotted rotors for the front and moving the front rotors to the rear. The rotor sizes are 266mm for the front and 247mm for the rear.

Would this be possible, and what costs would be involved for the new rotors and the caliper adapters?

On 15inch rims, what size rotor would fit?

Phasis

What model are we speaking of here?

The 404 had the largest disc that would fit with a 15" rim, 12.75" I think... but don't quote me... if we are talking about a Peugeot here you can use the caliper mounts from a 404.

And then for calipers you can fit Hillman Super Minx/Humber Vogue units, which go on with standard unions... but you need to trip the top of the pads because they overlap the edge of the disc... this stops them working when the pads wear down if you don't cut them first. Bolt straight on... dinkum... and you won't need any brake balance valve.

Dont know about the rears, they may be big enough already as 80% of the braking is done at the pointy end anyway. Are 306 GTi-6 front discs and rotors any larger?

Chipper

you beat me to it Chipper.
GTi-6 discs are 285mm and are a common upgrade for 205's in the UK.
you can buy them from wreckers over there or try your luck here buying them new, i assume you'll need the calipers aswell.
They squeeze inside a 205 gti 15" wheel when the weights are moved.

Andreas

Been thinking about this some more, the front disks wont fit in the rear calipers as they are 20mm thick, while the rears are only 8mm.
I havent seen the GTi6 brakes, but i was after a cross drilled or slotted (or both) set.
Unfortunatly there is only about an inch clearance at the moment between the inside of the rim and the caliper.

Apart from the fact they look great, why do you want cross drilled brakes for?

Does your current set up fade at all?

Slotted, yeah, i can understand that as they are useful for expelling gasses that build up between the pad and the disc under high temps, but cross drilled?....save your dosh.

jr got his cause he drives like a hoon and needs them
wink.gif
(and the standard brakes are less than inspiring)

Just my 2c

Chipper

The drilled brakes also allow gases to escape into the finned area in the centre of the brake.

But I guess its for both looks and function. I really love the look of a decent set of brakes on any car, it shows attention to things other than HP, not that HP is bad, ever.

The brakes I got at the moment work fine too, but the way I see it, its not only a purchase to look good (like a spoiler would be) but its also providing better braking, therefore a safer car... to an extent.

Phasis

Phasis, I've just sent off for a Demon Tweeks catalogue from the UK (looking for a WRX strut brace). They are a major source of racing and rally gear in the UK, as well as road upgrades, and have a large range of upgraded rotors for cars such as the 306 and 206, from companies such as Pagid, AP Racing etc. I'll check for you when I get it in a few days.

Stuey

phasis, jr the hoon here!! 285mm are the biggest u can go with 15" wheels. cross drilled/slotted rotors are orgasmic. its as good as adding another ..say 10hp to the car as u brake later into corners. in an emergency stop u will pull up a few feet shorter than normal and that could be the difference between a nose to tail or just a near miss. i'd prefer the latter! i hate to put a dampener on it tho but i'm sure i've read you shouldnt dare put them on abs cars. could be wrong tho! cheers jr

------------------

ABS...that was another thought.
A mechanic i know who does some of the more simple work for me said that upgraded rotors can cause havok with ABS. He has an XR6 (FORD), but said they settled down after not too long.

In regards to stopping distance, wouldnt that only be a function of the tyre grip?
For example if you had an OEM brake system that could slow a car down from say 80km/h to 0 at the edge of tyre grip, which my brakes can do at the moment (without hitting the ABS limit), how could an upgraded rotor improve this? As far as I can see it can't. However in no way am I discounting the benefits of better rotors for hard driving applications, as no amount of braking or ABS mastery will overcome massive brake fade.

Does anyone have any good info about ABS and upgraded rotors.

JR - what would i expect to pay for rotors similar to yours and what size and make/model are the ones you have?

Phasis

[This message has been edited by Phasis (edited 17 August 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phasis:
In regards to stopping distance, wouldnt that only be a function of the tyre grip?
For example if you had an OEM brake system that could slow a car down from say 80km/h to 0 at the edge of tyre grip, which my brakes can do at the moment (without hitting the ABS limit), how could an upgraded rotor improve this? As far as I can see it can't...

Improved control, the bigger disc gives better leverage, better feel... it does work.

i've got the apparently dodgy abs system on my 405 that usually needs replacing every few years but mine works fine.
i've got 4 pot wilwood calipers and 315mm discs and the abs still kicks in now and then when it's supposed to.

Andreas

Phasis, your brakes work fine, what are you complaining about you didn't have smoke coming from your fronts now did you!!! The cross drilled and slotted stuff stops better because 1/slots clean off the scorns off the pads and maximising pad area , and 2/cross drilled lets gas escap minimising heat absorbsion and fade

phasis, mine are brembo 300mm on the 205 and cost approx $1700. u can get cheaper tho, oe size at approx $800.

------------------

phasis, talked to performance brake man today asked him about cross drilled and abs, there is no problem at all. i got him also to find out the price for an s16 which he said he could get, in oz too!! ru interested? cheers jr

------------------

Yeah, but really just to know what I am up for at the moment.

I have redirected my interests into another mod...see new post.

As far as braking on the road goes - you will be able to get a quantum leap in braking feel and distance just by changing the pads. Inexpensive and worth trying.

Personally I think changing the rotor's are a bit extreme, although I can see why people would do it for looks. The other reason I can see is that Peugeot front rotors traditionally do not last long at all. I went through 2 sets before 13k in my 306 *g*.

I have heard a few good things about EBC pads, Esscargo here in Sydney stock these I think.

BC

macquered....one step ahead of ya
smile.gif

got EBC greens, only $10 more than standard.
And yes, they rock. Got stuck into them going down Mt Glorious (see http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/000143.html) and they performed flawlessly, however a rotor machining was needed afterwards. This was probably needed prior to the trip, but the glazing was quite noticable afterwards.