these cars As chipper replied to my post
re turbos he mentioned torque steer
l have been looking into this for a
while now including checking out the I R S
rear setups on the turbo mazdas and nissans
with the viscous rear ends I would love to
use the japanese cosworth the legendary FJ20
one day as i love the 205 but hate FWD with
extreme power levels.But the peugeot is at least one of the best FWD in the world.

Murat,

There is a dude in the UK who whacked an RS500 cossy drivetrain into a 205....just
biggrin.gif

How on earth would you convert a 205 to RWD?

Chipper

Chipper
I have seen a lot of those cossie 4wd in maxpower,the problem with the cosworth is
that it is very expensive to purchase thats why i was telling andreas that i was looking at japenese engines and parts very cheap,full lsd irs setups under a $1000 ozzie dollars fj20 i call the japenese cosworth if tuned correctly good for about 500 hp @ flywheel seen at wreckers $1600 with 5 speed,Answering your question it is a lot of work to convert fwd cars mainly due to law it is only feasible for me as i can carry out all the work myself i am halfway
through completing a advanced diploma in engineering at a aviation certified school
hopefully have a aviation licence in the end so i can hopefully start a project like this for the moment though i am working into getting into the top 10 fastest fwd in oz turbo project is going good.

Murat

Why would you want to butcher a perfectly balanced, beautifully handling 205 !
Ok there is the torque steer but you learn to live with it as the handling is so good.
Driver magazine in Nz published a story in 1991 reviewing the new Audi 200 quatro. The camera car was a 405 diesel. The Audi could'nt keep up in the twisty stuff !!
Ok it was a while ago and it was a 405, but the same supention geometry applies with the 205. Rear trailing arms with torsion bars.
Maintain the purity of design, keep it french not Frankestein !!

Ps, if you want to see a wicked rear drive conversion, check the Aleisi 406 Coupe !!!

James
I did not say i was going to butcher it just improve upon the french design.The problem is james people have different needs i have had very fast cars in the past and love the peugeot shape so i cant sell the bloody car like it to much yet i cant put the power i want through the peugeot chasis
yes the peugeot has a fluent chassis handles well in factory form but it is far from perfect on the limit weight distrubution has
never been fwd strong points can never match
rwd or 4wd or mid mount cars i have got an
article from performance car who named the
205 gti as the performance car of the decade
and quoted as saying it would be dangerous
to put 4wd cossie gear in the 205 yet when they had taken one for a test drive they said that it was razor sharp with plenty of grip the 205 would be stiffer would handle a lot better would be safer in adverse conditions and go a lot better the problem is peugeot race the real cars yet give us simular looking cars with cheaper fwd chassis
dont want to upset anyone but it is the facts
as i was replying to andreas comment on another forum of going to a rwd setup.the peugeot as i have quoted is a fine car but people have different needs just thought it might be intresting to talk about it.

What about a Toyota Tercel 4wd drivetrain?

It would have to be pretty close to the dimensions of the Pug anyway, and Toyota Turbo/Supercharged/Multivalve motors just about breed under corogated iron in wrecking yards
wink.gif

Murat,

Hows the turbo coming along?

Chipper

Chipper,

How is it going up there in the sunshine state, Yes those superchargers are everywhere don't you just feel like buying everything you see at those big wrecking yards even though you won't use most of the things you purchase,I have been looking into
Toyota,Mazda,cosworth,Mazda gearbox is the weakest but easiest to get toyota always use stronger stuff cosworth 4wd gearbox from overseas is also good but for the moment I am concentrating on the job ahead in making the most I can in fwd chassis.The turbo is going very well had problems with the gearshift linkages with the dummy setup now i am making the proto type a lot of thought has gone into it, I am working out the number three cylinder it is hard to explain as no one has made a equal length stainless steel manifold to my knowledge going to all the trouble because it will be very light and more durable than even steam pipe if welded correctly ex,correct filler material back purging the back of the weld dont want to get to technical has been difficult as i am using a much bigger turbo than they provided in some of the kits that was once available if people are interested i will post 0-60 and quarter mile times and in gear times once it is finished i will be designing a very large intercooler,water injection new alloy radiator and hope fully finish it by december.

Murat

Murat,

Things in the sunshine state are always great
smile.gif

It sounds like you have well and truly done your homework on the subject of a 4wd transplant and the strengths/weaknesses of them, still reckon a budget 205GTiT4WD is a great idea
biggrin.gif

So the room behind the head for the zorst manifold is creating a few dramas hey?

Are you running the standard compression ratio the same as the original engine or are you going lower?

Chipper

MURAT

Can you post a pic of you're monster ! I'd love to see a work in progress series !!!

Ps I know what youre talking about, once you start doing this sort of work on a pug it becomes like another arm !
I live in Saskatchewan now, couldnt bring myself to sell the 405 even in the face of immense pressure from the wife. Its in storage now in NZ waiting for another engine !!

Sounds like the project you are undertaking is mammoth, keep us posted, go hard !

[This message has been edited by James (edited 01 May 2001).]

James,
How are you James i am glad some one understands mate
I eat and sleep cars i have owned the 205 for 6 years now
I dont think i can ever go back to a big car unless it is a euro car they seem to have this nice feel to them.
My friends have told me what the hell are you
trying to do in that thing as i am 6-5 I told them theres plenty of room in the 205
i was in the big league in drags once but now i am into sophisticated thrills as i tell everyone that have fast dull cars.
From what i read you have a tuff atmo 405 if i am correct what has happened to it.
Its good that you did not give in to your wife and kept your 405 you need something to ocupy yourself.
About 3 months ago i finally put the gti of the road as it was becoming to difficult putting the exhaust on and off all the time to measure things up now i am going the whole hog.
I will keep you posted with the project you guys sound like you are interested.
It is a big project but if you enjoy it it is rewarding just think of putting your foot to the metal and pulling away from a gen 3 holden commodore after he puts a smile on his face you will wipe it off.
The money is why it is taken so long as i just rebuilt my engine or else i could do it on a long weekend.
let me know about your engine.Sorry about posting to early.

Murat

[This message has been edited by Murat (edited 02 May 2001).]

Chipper,
I think i have answered your question on your
topic in the peugeot side but if i was not clear i am using the standard comp engine i
i have about 9 to 1 comp as i have used the oem headgasket you buy if you have machined your head my engine has been rebuilt 17000ks
i put new piston and liners in new bearings
also bottom end is new left the head as is but i bought full gasket set so i have valve
seals and such if i need them in the future
I think you can 7-8 psi but i warn you would want to be one with your car it will not be a setup and run job you will need a large intercooler forget about that oil cooler sized intercooler turbo technics used maybe water injection good fuel optimax bp-100 and so on most likely a auxilary fuel controller
preferbaly mappable for engine load boost retarding of timing i will let you know once i set it up.

Murat