Rust in Peace Simca

REN TIN TIN

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Guys,

Saw this a couple of blocks from home.
I'm not a expect in the marque but this is a Simca isn't it, maybe an Aronde?
Is it owned by anyone on the forum?

IMG_0217.jpgIMG_0216.jpg

I'm guessing the car's been sat in this front yard for 30 or 40 years.
Looks like it was complete when it was laid up, even has the sunvisor and weathershields.

She'd be a goner now, any mechanical bits would be absolutely rusted solid.

Cheers
RTT

Cheers
RTT

I love the Ivy growing over the back, and the grass neatly mown all around. Looks like a kind of art installation. :)

(And I'm not an expert either - but yes, looks like an Aronde to me.)

Ian.

An Aronde all right, and with all the fruit from the early 1960s, i.e. Perspex rain/wind guard on the driver's door - remember hand signals were required so the window was often/usually down and the mandatory sunvisor in case the wind noise needed increasing.

Nice cars actually, in their day.

I don't think the garden ornament function was intentional.
More a forgotten project that never got off the ground and now has found it turned into a garden ornament.
Or it 'failed to proceed' one day and was left where it stopped.

I'm surprised it's held up so well. Apart from what looks like surface rust on the top surfaces, there are no gaping rust holes in the body and all the bright-work and glass is intact. I would have expected the bottom 6 inches of the car to have rusted away or the door bottoms and sills to be non-existent.
I'm sure this car has been sitting in this front yard, out in the weather (including hail storms and thunderstorms) for at least 30 years from what I can remember.

There are a couple of what look like XL Falcons in the yard now too.
(This is a normal quarter acre suburban lot, not a farm out in the bush).

Last edited:
An update, the Simca is no more.
After 40-50 years (or more) of being sat in the front yard of it's house, it is gone.
I hope it didn't go to scrap, it looked pretty solid despite sitting all those years.
But it most likely will be resurrected as a LDV, Mg, or toaster or washing machine, etc.
(Don't think the house will last much longer either. I suspect a bulldozer will be through the property pretty soon).

Yep - I suspect a deceased estate property sale has probably cleared it out.

Cheers

Justin