Rust in 2017 308 roof seams

lowpugV2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
So, is this rust? And is it normal and what should I do about?

My 2017 308 seems to have rust appearing in the seams. Definitely rust coloured stains showing on the right side roof seam and in the hatch up near the hinge.

What to do? PXL_20231110_062512635.jpgPXL_20231110_062512635.jpgPXL_20231110_062540015.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231110_062503555.jpg
    PXL_20231110_062503555.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 65
Six years, looks like light seam rust. We used to rub with phosphoric acid, probably better rust convertors now. Even a cutting compound will take most off. It will largely rub off. If you keep the car for a long time it will eventually need a light touch with a paintbrush. Not a big problem and attention will stop it getting worse.

Thanks. Will look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 09's don't have anything showing yet and the silver one sits outside. Is the paint thinner on white cars or has it been resprayed? As suggested rub it down clean and get a good paint protection on to it and monitor

What to do?
You could spray a wax on to slow it down. Otherwise, you need to treat the rust and paint it. You will have an anti-perforation warranty if that becomes relevant. It will have conditions. Is it exposed to salty spray? Has it had panel work there?

Thanks for all the replies.

The car has lived in Willoughby/lindfield for it's whole life, so not excessive exposure to salty air.

As far as I know it's all original paint. It is thin though and very soft. It's one of the reasons I haven't polished out the small imperfections.

The original owner had it parked in his drive uncovered but otherwise looked after it.

@dmccurtayne I read the owners manual today and there's enough terms and conditions associated with the paint and corrosion warranty that I'm certain they'll fob me off but I will drop into North Shore Peugeot on Monday. To me it does look like improperly sealed seams during manufacture.

Cross fingers it's not serious, and if so I can get it resolved.

Booked in at Trivett Parramatta for next Monday, they wouldn't just look at the car, have to book in for diagnostics... $220. Think if I turn up with donuts they might be more helpful? 😁

Sitting at the dealership service centre now. Initial response is "chemical/environmental fallout" not rust from underneath. Hmmmm. Sounds like an out to me....

Nice people though and the service manager is cool.

No real result, but no charge at least. Advice was to clay bar the car and decontaminate. Might seek some independent advice from a body shop.

A dose of salt on the way out, parking near an industrial chimney, all possible but the fear is the steel wasn't properly treated and it is creeping out from the inside. I've seen a 604 with a rust hole in the roof that could only have been started by faulty handling. A dealer once returned a new 404 to Heidelberg with seam rust. This will be a minor problem. Annoying but easy to stop getting worse.