Road trip in GiSelle

We do seem to have strayed somewhat, but an interesting discussion nonetheless.

I have now enhoisted GiSelle and transfused her gearbox's vital fluids with some fresher stuff. The magnetic plug had no more than the usual amount of very fine powder on it. No lumps, chips or similar magnetic bits at least.

The drained oil was also devoid of anything concerning when I intensely scrutinised the pan as I decanted it.

The box of whirly toothy things is now provided with it's full quota of (pretty blue!) Penrite gear oil and a tube of Nulon G70. A drive around the area seemed to indicate a much quieter gearbox, although some of the "zizzes" are still there, albeit quieter, possibly because of the fresher oil. In any case, time will tell how it fares.

The motor also seems quieter now that I've replaced the dead (and rattling) pre-heater pipe section on the passenger side, and tightened up some of the tinware. Once again, time will tell.

Only task left over from the SA trip now is to address the recalcitrant ignition lock which, at times, refused to accept the rightful key into its orifice. Strangely the spare key from Mrs P's handbag slid in and worked smoothly, but, just in case, I left it in the lock until we got back home. I have a spare unit so will address that at my leisure.

Cheers, and thanks for your contributions to a lively discussion, Pottsy.
I had two GS's... both gearboxes were really noisy, the nulon G70 was like magic for the sound and synchros back then. Easily reducing the sound by 3/4s :)

My GS's gearbox was, how to say it, "the quiet achiever". It did everything how you would expect, and if there was any transmission noise, it couldn't be heard above the engine's hum.
My DS's 4 speed gearbox makes some pleasant mechanical noises. More a "busy getting the on with the job" type noises rather than sounding like something that's in its death throes. I changed the oil and added G70 to it, there was no debris and there was no real change worth writing home about.
My Suzuki Carry's gearbox on the other hand.😳